new computer

Kevo274

Solid State Member
Okay I'm gonna try to get parts in mind for my computer. Here's what I've got so far:

Mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

HD: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video Card: Foxconn FV-N88SMBD2-ONOC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V

Disk: Sony NEC Optiarc Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE / ATAPI DVD Burner

Cooling Unit: Tuniq T-120 CPU Cooler

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

So far, this looks like it will end up at about $1800CAN. How could I shave a couple hundred bucks off this price? I want to keep most of the things but are there cheaper alternatives to the power supply or cooling unit? How much would I save dropping 100GB of HD space? Is it better to have a 400GB HD or a 320GB HD with a faster 80GB one?

Well a few problems I see with the build.

You selected the T1 Revision of the board. I recommend the A1 Revision if your going for max overclock on the Q6600. The T1 overclocks well but most seem to have slightly better results with the A1 Revision.

Second why a Samsung drive? Go with a new Seagate with perpendicuar recording or a western digital. Your on the right track with the 16mb cache. Size is really a personal option. If moneys tight why not just pick up a 320meg or something a little bit cheaper and shave a few bucks. Then buy a second media drive when you have the coin.

Alot of people like the Corsair ram never used so I can't quote but I will say I love my G.Skill Highly overclockable. You could shave $50buy picking this ram. Lower timings less money and highly overclockable. I have not fine tuned mine yet but people seem to be overclocking to 1000mhz easy. Link

You could also drop some on the PSU as well. Thats overkill for a single 640GTs. Although if your going to upgrade to SLI that would work out better for you. If not look for a good 550watt with a high effciency and solid 12V rail.

You could probally also save some coin if you had some CD/DVD drives you can just swap out and use until you have money to get new ones. If not that DVD drive looks fine.

A tip with newegg also select price watch and have them alert you of price drops on items your interested in. That ram I linked you to is normally $114.99 maybe a weekend special or something.

This is actually going to be my first computer and since my current is the family computer, I've been afraid to mess around with overclocking so I probably wont end up overclocking this one to the max anyways.

I just picked Samsung because there were some good reviews about it and it had won a customer choice award.

I was told Corsair went with my mobo better but that 50bucks sounds pretty nice lol.

I'll definately have to look for a new PSU then and hopefully I can save some money on that.

I'm just using Newegg because everybody else uses it. Stupid thing is that I live in Canada so I'll have to do the actual buying from a different retailer.

Thanks a lot for the reply it's given me a lot of new options to think about :)

Thanks I'll check it out. Also, I forgot to ask: I don't know how to tell but are all these parts compatable with eachother?

Whats wrong with the one he has/will get, please dont take this the wrong way but next time could u elaborate on things, like get another gpu doesnt help, sorry just might be more helpful next time to the poster :)

I would reccomend this video card over the Foxconn you have. Same specs, just a different more reliable brand.

Back
Top Bottom