new computer

wolfie62

Beta member
hope someone can help. my friend has just had a new computer built for him from a local pc shop, it has amd 3200 x64, windows pro x64 gigabyte m/b, 120 sata h/d, g force g/card 256. had it 1 day and allready problems. 1) a short time after booting up it will automatically shut down. 2) not compatible with broadband modem. 3) not compatible with his sons new game. sorry cant tell you what game it is.
beggining to think that a majority of those problems are due to win pro x64 platform. the other could be fan over heating, not sure ime relatively new to this but would welcome any suggestions.
if he has to change back to windows xp, should the shop pay back the difference?

Take it back to the shop. As it is brand new, it should have some sort of warranty. Do not open the case as this will void it.

cheers wombat, will be doing that today. i no its the shops problem but do you think we should revert back to win xp??

most programs will not work with x64. Seeing as it is so new it will probably be the standard within a few years and all programs will be compatible but as of now the standard is the 32 bit version. And x64 is still buggy. Which might be the reason it shuts off. i hope you get it all sorted out. Your broadband might be incompatible because of the drivers not workign with the new x64 version so good luck.

your dead right about the broadband rdcmmnst , that dont work either. taken it back to shop and agreed to change to win xp pro 32 bit and see how we go. i really think that should do the trick. fingers crossed. ile let you all no in a few days if

umm i dont think you can change the os from 64bit to 32 bit after it has been installed. you may have to buy a new hd.

Haha yea you can. I think xp64 and xp32 are considered totally different licenses though. If you have the cash, you may want to dual boot between the two, using xp32 for most reliable stuff, and xp64 where you see a difference like I think unreal tournament 04 or something is out for xp64. Or maybe I'm dreaming....

Back
Top Bottom