New Computer/Old Hard drive HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
Well.. I am thinking of buying a new computer and im wondering that if i put in my old hard drive with windows etc, and say if the hard drive had some corrupt windows files that give bsod's would it corrput my hardware.. ie ram etc

but i have tweaked windows loads.. and i mean loads.. and i am getting some bsods.. like loadsa different ones and im not sure if its the hardware or whatever so if it was something to do with the registry or something, would it corrupt my hardware

Re:

Hello,

It won't damage anything at all. If you intend to slave your old Hard Drive in your new PC, alongside a new Hard Drive, then it is fine.

This way, you can install the operating system on the new hard drive (or boot into the pre-installed operating system on the new hard drive), and simply access the files you have on your old drive in windows. When you add new drives to a PC, windows will automatically perform a check on the disk, or a CHKDSK to make sure that damaged sectors are repaired.

The only thing which connecting your old hard drive to the new PC will do is potential infections from viruses, but this applies with all storage mediums. Having said that you should make sure that your old drive is free of any viruses and it's always a good idea to perform a check disk manually if not let windows perform it automatically.

What Alvin said.

Plus, you won't be able to use the Windows on the old disk because the system configuration won't match up to what Windows knows about your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom