New comp (need opinions)

prophel91

Beta member
I might be getting this comp for college, what are your guys opinion of it, any thing i dont need or change ? Its a Dell XPS 625

SYSTEM COLOR - Black Bezel Chassis
PROCESSOR - AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9850+ Black Edition (2.5GHz/125W)
COOLING OPTION - XPS Standard System Cooling
WARRANTY AND SERVICE - 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
OFFICE SOFTWARE - Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007
MEMORY - 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE - 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 2 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE - Single Drive 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
MONITOR - 20 inch S2009WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
VIDEO CARD - ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
GAMING ESSENTIALS - Killer NICâ„¢ K1 Gaming Network Card
SOUND CARD - Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
SPEAKERS - Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
KEYBOARD - No Keyboard Requested
MOUSE - No mouse
MEDIA READER - No Floppy Drive

How much are you paying for it? You can lose that gaming network card. The integrated network components will do you well enough.

Yeah, that system is a complete ripoff for that price. I can build you a Core i7 system with a ton of memory, HDD space and a multi-GPU setup. You can easily build that system from Dell for around $800 to $1000.

I second what Rohan said. Its a complete ripoff to pay around 2 grand for those specs you listed. If you have around $2000 to spend on a comp, you can get a monster of a machine. Im definitely thinking you'll have enough room to put two GTX 260s or even a 4870 X2 in there. You can also get a CPU with stock speeds at or above 3.0GHz such as the AMD Phenom II X4 940 and 955, or you could go the intel route, get one thats at 3.0+. I don't know if you're an OCer but either way, Id drop that current cpu and go with a higher speed. A good place to LOOK, not neccesarily buy is ibuypower.com and just select the parts and kind of get familiar with what youre looking at. Then I'd suggest go to newegg.com, find the individual parts and add them to cart to see what the price is then. If you have no experience building a computer, then thats fine, you can get one prebuilt and ibuypower.com's prices aren't too bad. If you want to do it yourself (like i wanted to do, but couldn't) then go the newegg route.

That's really a nice rig from Dell. It has 8GB of memory, an AMD quad core black edition CPU that is easily overclockable, 500GB drive and a 1GB HD 4870. That should handle most games quite easily. I too would recommend getting rid the of Killer NICâ„¢ K1 Gaming Network Card as it is a total waste of money and does nothing to improve the network speeds.

I second Rohans comment as well, jus build your own i7 rig, you'll be much better off and im sure ya'll have extra tad of money left over. =)

You should not go with Dell because of
1. reliability issues
2. proprietary components (have to buy motherboard and such from Dell)
3. no actual operating system disk and just backup
4. overpriced for gaming computers

Dell is alright but you would be much better off with Realm Computers http://realmcomputers.com

Back
Top Bottom