new CD drive not visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarantulatarama

Baseband Member
Hello all
I just stuck a new CD drive in my laptop, but it's not visible on windows explorer (XP, sp2, 2.4GHz pentium). Can ya help?

:grind: :umm:

You may need to install drivers for it. Is it visible in the device manager?

tarantulatarama said:
the drive is a teac, and I was advised in this forum that no drivers would be needed! :(

Every CD-ROM device needs drivers. Who would advise that it doesn't and why would this case be an exception? Maybe I am out of the loop or maybe you were advised that there are already pre-installed drivers in Windows and most likely would not need to spend time installing them from a disk or downloading them. Anyways did the drive come with a drivers disk?

Here you might find the drivers here:

http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/companies/1030.htm

Plus: Did Windows detect new hardware when you first on your laptop after installing the new device? Also did you make sure all the cables are connected firmly?

like mentioned from above, all device need a driver, but windows provide most of it, and of course there can be exception. (probably more if you are a laptop)

you should have a floppy that comes with the new drive, right? use the detect new hardware function in windows and use that floppy for driver

hope it helps.

it's a teac cd-w224e, for a laptop -

http://www.teac.de/dspd/index.php?cont=products/products.php&prod_id=20&id=3&lang=en

I can't see a driver on the teac site...

For the benefit of anyone in my position, and for the opportunity of debating the point, here is the dialogue which happened:

Me: "Do I need drivers for a new cd-rw drive?"

Him: "No way man, cd rom drivers never need drivers."

Me: "My concern is that when booting from a disc, it is performed before windows loads. Does DOS have drivers for all cd drives?"

Him: "You are all set. All new BIOS's support ATAPI devices (your cd rom) and will give it the basic drivers to get it to work. When you load Windows, the more advanced features will work."

...Any more ideas?

hu_xu said:
Every CD-ROM device needs drivers. Who would advise that it doesn't and why would this case be an exception?
What the person probably meant was that Windows would have a driver for it, thus you wouldn't need a CD or disk with the drivers.

Anywho, make sure the drive is showing up, first off.

1. Go into the device manager and see if you see it listed.
2. Go into diskmgmt.msc and see if you see it listed.
3. If the drive is listed in both places, chances are it's just got its letter confused. Re-assign it a different letter in diskmgmt.msc and see what happens.
4. If that still doesn't work, remove the drive, remove it from the device manager, give it a stern lecture and stick it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom