New car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive out of town on back roads, When you need to pass one of those double grain trailers driven by some farm kid in the fall, you'll want your car to move. A 4 cyl just say's "what?" when you put it to the wood. The 4 cyl engines are good for just buzzing around town but if you get on a steep hill at freeway speeds (70 - 80+mph), well it just ain't going to happen

See Omo's reply:

You can get Camrys in 6cyl, but not Corollas. They do make Subaru Legacys in 6cyl, but I can tell you from experience that the 4cyl has plenty of power. I have no issues merging, changing lanes or overtaking on the highway in my wife's car even though I am used to a car with a big turbo in it.

I drive out of town on back roads, When you need to pass one of those double grain trailers driven by some farm kid in the fall, you'll want your car to move. A 4 cyl just say's "what?" when you put it to the wood. The 4 cyl engines are good for just buzzing around town but if you get on a steep hill at freeway speeds (70 - 80+mph), well it just ain't going to happen

I'm telling you, you get used to it quickly. The Legacys also have paddle shifters in them so you can downshift before starting to pass. The shifting is smooth and pretty much instant and the power is right there.

Honestly, I don't think anyone in their right mind can make a informed, intelligent decision before test driving a vehicle. I would highly recommend at least checking out the Legacy before making up your mind. I was surprised with it when I first drove it. Even the sound it makes sounds awesome when you floor it.

Last edited:
nope.... Not getting a 4 banger.
I thought I already made this statement in post #5?
How's it drive in the steep mountain roads?
How many horses is that 4 cyl?
and.... it does have a CVT transmission

A 4cyl and a CVT.... both things that I stated I do not want at this time

I know this isn't completely on topic, but the new EcoBoost Mustang's are pretty fast, just a tad slower than the V6's which is pretty good for a 4 cyl.
But that's Ford's special technology etc... Yes, I know your not looking for a Mustang haha

I know this isn't completely on topic, but the new EcoBoost Mustang's are pretty fast, just a tad slower than the V6's which is pretty good for a 4 cyl.
But that's Ford's special technology etc... Yes, I know your not looking for a Mustang haha
actually... I would love to get another Mustang!
But this car is for the Mrs. for to drive on school days and She stated she couldn't drive a mustang in the winter, The salt would eat it up and ruin a very nice car.

Joe, I've driven 4's, 6's, and 8's. I can tell you from experience that the bigger 4 bangers like the Subaru's have more get up and go than you would believe. I have to agree, get behind the wheel and try it before you knock it. Unless you're doing timed racing, I'm willing to bet that you'll find very little difference in the "feeling" you get when you pound the pedal. I obviously have no dog in this fight and, personally, I drive a Honda Pilot which is a V6. However, I would go back to Subaru any day if they were more common around my area. As for the pricing? Their value holds really well. Much like Honda.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the salt is going to eat up the car no matter what you get. ;)

A 4cyl and a CVT.... both things that I stated I do not want at this timehttps://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...gine-failure-high-oil-consumption-092315.html
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/subaru.html
Omoplata, have you ever owned or driven an 8 or 6 cyl car before?

Yup, I had a 6cyl Mercury Sable back in the day and both my parents have had 6 cyl vehicles here and there. I used to also work for companies that had both 6 and 8 cyl trucks, so I do have experience. From the sounds of things you have already made up you mind about this, but know that I am just making the point that the car has ample hp, and more importantly for passing and your mountainous roads, torque. Technology has vastly improved over the last 20 years and most modern 4 cyl engines have improved dramatically in HP and torque.

Edit: Forgot you asked. I think my wife's car has 180 HP.

Last edited:
If I do test drive a Subaru, do I need to carry a quart of oil with me too?....lol
It's recommended that the Nissan Maxima use premium fuel, but it does have 300 HP
My Chrysler 200 had 283 HP (The new ones have 290) The Avalon also has 290 HP this Honda I was looking only has 285 HP but that is o.k. by me. I can't see a 180 HP getting you up a mountain road with that CVT at the power required to pass another car. I could and did do that with my 200, on a 4 lane highway. Can't recall the name of the mountain but it was near Los Cruses N.M
Well... maybe it could if it screamed all the way up?

Last edited:
The 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang has more power than my GT with a V8. Most Subaru cars from 07 and up in the US use the 2.5 which offers similar or more power than my V8 as well. The Subaru Boxer isn't your standard everyday inline 4. They aren't really deprived of power like Honda and Toyota motors are. The 2016 Avalon V6 only has 268hp while having similar city MPG compared to my 99 GT with a ****ty V8.

Subaru also has one of the world's most advanced AWD systems making them pretty damn good in wintery weather. I think getting with the times, putting opinion to the side, and doing some proper research might need to be said. 6 cylinder engines are being slowly phased out due to them being almost pointless. 4 bangers are not only easier to produce, easier to work on, but also cheaper and more light weight. 4 bangers also don't have the balance issues that need to be compensated for like V6 engines which reduces engineering cost. Not to mention with factories slapping turbos on everything these days some 4 bangers can come out of the factory with over 300HP. I know when I had my V6 Mustang my best friend at the time had a WRX and he smoked me constantly.

You don't want a 4 banger then fine, don't complain when it's too hard to meet all the demands for the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom