New built system: bios startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiet_rush

Baseband Member
Hello everyone :D

So, I just bought some hardware pieces and built my computer, here are the parts:

Motherboard: Asus A8V-DX
CPU: AMD XP 64 3000 (939)
HDD: 120GB Western Digital SATA 7200 rpm 8mb cache
Memory: 2 x 256Mb 400MHz DDR Kingston
CASE + PSU : ATX Antec Sonata 380W
video card: my old MSI GeForce FX 5600

The problem: When I open my computer, everything starts: all the fans (the 4 fans: cpu, graphics card, main, power supply) start but the screen gets no signal ....
Would anyone be able to help me find what the problem is?
Thank you
Fred

Have you connected the motherboard speaker? What beeps do you get?

Have you tried individual sticks of ram, in other slots (e.g. slot 3)

no beeps. no sound except for the barely hearable fans...
I remember connecting a 4 pin cable labeled speaker to the mother board so I guess that<s what it is...
I can try to change the memory sticks....
thanks

edit: well turns out that was the only advice I needed :D
I should<ve known, the two blue memory slots should be used simultuanesly...
thanks again

Well, hello again :D
I didn'T want to start another thread so I kept the same one...

Now that I made my bios work, I want to install windows xp. For that, I just installed a DVD drive (Benq DW 1620 pro)...
I am pretty sure I installed it right, I put it as a master since it is the only IDE drive I have (my HDD is a SATA Western digital 120 G drive)... I tried to plug it as a primary and secondary drive....
Windows would not start the installation process ( it says Select booting device and reboot or insert boot software in booting device and press a key)

Some indications that might help you help me out : In the BIOS setup, the DVD drive is detected but in the bios startup, when it says Detecting IDE drives ...... , it only finds my SATA drive set as an array....

I am all confused any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Fred :)

You need to get a SATA driver, and put it on a floppy disk. It should be supplied with your motherboard, otherwise, get it from their website.

(You have to press f6/f7 when the setup is inspecting your hardware, or what ever it is, the blue screen bit at the begging, it will say which button at the bottom.)

I have a cd that came with the motherboard but it doesn't do anything... I'll try to make floppy (although I don't have any on the computer I just built, I'll try to put an old floppy drive in)..
Is there any other solution other than a floppy disk...

Because I can't believe Asus wouldn't provide the necessary drivers for their motherboards...

Fred.

I tried with this driver: VIA VT6420 (VT8237) SATA RAID Driver Package Version 2.20D WHQL

I don't see any F6 mention in the bios startup...
If i hit it, nothing works...
Any other advice?
:confused:

Thanks

When you boot from windows xp, at the start there is a blue screen with a status bar in the top right hand corner, above that it says windows setup. Look at the bottom of the screen, there will be writing. When it goes to press F6/7 to instal 3rd party scsi drivers, press the button it says.

quiet_rush said:
I have a cd that came with the motherboard but it doesn't do anything... I'll try to make floppy (although I don't have any on the computer I just built, I'll try to put an old floppy drive in)..
Is there any other solution other than a floppy disk...

Because I can't believe Asus wouldn't provide the necessary drivers for their motherboards...

Fred.

Yep Asus is pulling alot of crap these days

You need to press f6 during the INSTALL, i dont think their is another promt besides that ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom