New build - fried something? Mobo unresponsive

Juggerbyte

Beta member
First and foremost, I want to know the likelihood that my CPU is fried; that's the only irreplaceable aspect of this build next to my GPU.

I bought an i7 4770k, an Asrock z87 pro3 for a new build. Last night I threw everything in the new case with the minimum plugged in just to see if everything moved before I went a hooked it up to my TV and all that (not a lot of room in my gaming area so I did this at my workstation.)

So I powered it on and my PSU, HDD, and DVD drive all kicked on. But nothing happened with my CPU or GPU fans. I also did not notice any LEDs on the mobo. Then I remembered that I had forgotten to remove the extra risers. My case had risers preinstalled for a mini mobo, and in my rush I just added in the extras for my ATX mobo and forgot to remove the extra 2 that were in there. I double checked my connections and noticed that my ATX wasn't COMPLETELY seated (the little clip didnt secure over the ridge to the mobo connector) but I think it was seated well enough that it probably should have got power.

It concerns me that the GPU didn't move either; it gets power directly from the PSU. Does the mobo need to send it a signal to run or would it have kicked on automatically? I was frazzled last night and just didn't have time to mess with it any more. I took the mobo out and went to bed, and now I'm at work frantically searching for answers. What do you think? The PC was powered on for about 4 seconds total with those extra risers in there; just long enough to see that nothing was happening. If I'd shorted something I kinda expect that I would have at least seen some momentary activity from the board? I'm just freaking out; this build is already waaaaay more expensive than I thought (ended up having to buy a new case and DVD drive, and just finding all that out has resulted in 120 miles of extra driving) and now the prospect of having fried my new CPU is, quite honestly, putting me in hysterics. Especially while Im at work and unable to tinker with it.

I read through the sticky post and realize I can't test most of that here, I just want to know the chances of damage, not how to fix it; I can get to that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Look at this first:
power_connectors_atx.jpg

You see that 4pin connector in the image is that plugged in or pci-e express cable split and plugged in to the wrong socket ?
Also, remove the video card, and start out with your keyboard.
Hit the power button and note if the keyboard flickers and shows a bios post screen on the monitor.
If that is fine, put the graphics card back in plug in the pc-e cable to the card.
Make sure nothing is pressing down too hard on the mobo itself.
That is a usual cause for the computer not to bootup correctly.

Back
Top Bottom