New advertising technique

Just leave them on for guests. I'd much rather have you do that than this. You're wasting space when you add these to the postbit.

yer but then that will stop guests joining up if they think we have them there

and i think they are fine where they are atm out of the way on the left , the only time i ever look there is to give people rep and so they really wont bother me

I might have found another option or two but we will have to see. I'm going to look at how much this generates and take that into consideration aswell

I might have found another option or two but we will have to see. I'm going to look at how much this generates and take that into consideration aswell

what other options are there . and i am under the impression that if this generates enough the ads at the bottom go ,

I honestly don't know what some of you guys are complaining about. It's a little rectangle flashing colors under your name. If you're worried about looking less "professional" then I think avatars, rep, and all those little information on the side need to go. They're only there for "entertainment". I think the way it is looks pretty good. If you really have a problem with it don't look at it. I barely notice them.

Just use this method David.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206117

See how the banner is enabled for guests, but not members?
but since I never sign out that means David will receive no ad revenue from my visits,
which is odd when you consider that I'll keep coming back whilst guests might not.

e.g, a single guest might use perhaps 1MB, in a month, and see enough ads to cover the cost of that.
but if you turn ads off for members, then we continue to download perhaps 30MB a month whilst not helping to generate any revenue.

Yes, something like that.

If you guys really hate it, Adblock will block it easily.
like was said a while ago, it's a very small rectangle, it's not intrusive, it's not for bad products. and it's a small thing to ask you to use a few K of your bandwidth to get a small button that isn't all that noticeable to generate a few pennies to help keep the site open.

I think that I could say for sure that if this was my site, I wouldn't want to run the site at a loss paying out of my own pocket so a group of people could chat on-line about whatever took their fancy.
I doubt that David will want to pay for the privilege of letting us air our opinions here either.

viewing a small ad isn't so much to ask IMO.

im still very curious about all this hosting business. i mean you can get decent hosting from free-£15 a month. does a forum like this really need its own server? obviously it would be better, but how noticable is it?

im still very curious about all this hosting business. i mean you can get decent hosting from free-£15 a month. does a forum like this really need its own server? obviously it would be better, but how noticable is it?

Yeah, I was gonna say something like that.

A site like this couldn't be that much money...

theres like 200 people on this site at once maximum from what i can see. like 100 odd guests and a handful of members. then again im not sure how much david pays for the server. its all about pros and cons, but unless cf gets bigger and better i dont see why we need our own server.

Back
Top Bottom