networking

rims

Beta member
hi ppl

i need all someones help, well i am going to set up a network by useing this method, plz say if this is good for secuirty purposes. Am thinking of setting up like this:

Laptop
XP Pro -----------------> 6 port switch <-----adsl --->www
modem router
Static IP

Server 2003
Active Directory
File Server
Web Server
Exchange 2003

and the switch is connected to the server, is there a need for a switch, and can i have my server runing all applications under server 2003.

rims said:
hi ppl

i need all someones help, well i am going to set up a network by useing this method, plz say if this is good for secuirty purposes. Am thinking of setting up like this:

Laptop
XP Pro -----------------> 6 port switch <-----adsl --->www
modem router
Static IP

Server 2003
Active Directory
File Server
Web Server
Exchange 2003

and the switch is connected to the server, is there a need for a switch, and can i have my server runing all applications under server 2003.

from the ADSL you will need a router, not a switch and enable dhcp either on the router or the server. if not, you will not be able to hook up more than one PC. you could go static ip, but that will make it harder to administer, unless you dont plan on growing the network....

he can use a switch if his adsl modem is a intergrated router ... many are

If you want security put a ISA server between router and switch

bilbus said:
he can use a switch if his adsl modem is a intergrated router ... many are

If you want security put a ISA server between router and switch

ive had limited experience with ADSL, although that is what we have here at the school. Obviously, we wouldnt want their router since it would bog down internet traffic. So we have a regular modem that is a passthrough switch.

However, ive never known of any ISP handing out integrated routers for home users, cause they would rather charge extra money per PC connected to the internet.

systeq said:
ive had limited experience with ADSL, although that is what we have here at the school. Obviously, we wouldnt want their router since it would bog down internet traffic. So we have a regular modem that is a passthrough switch.

However, ive never known of any ISP handing out integrated routers for home users, cause they would rather charge extra money per PC connected to the internet.

Bell / Sympatico / Aliant (Canada's largest ISP) now equips all their ADSL modem's with routing features. The main reason they do this is so people can enter their PPPOE infomation in the modem / router for a true always on connection, as well as being behind a router gives you extra security.

However if you tell them that you want more than one computer, they'll try to sell you some unstable 300$ peice of crap wireless router.

DJ-CHRIS said:
However if you tell them that you want more than one computer, they'll try to sell you some unstable 300$ peice of crap wireless router.

now THAT sounds more like an ISP business model...

so are you saying i nedd to enable both DHCP from router and server?

do i need a switch, as its only for practice use only?

:D

if you plug your computer into modem and get a 192.168.x, 10.x, 172.16.x then you dont need a router.

you only need a single dhcp server

Back
Top Bottom