Networking...????

cory49

Solid State Member
Okay, I have a Dell computer right now which has high speed cable internet. I am planning on buying another Dell computer, and I plan to put the new computer upstairs, and the old one downstairs. Question is how do i get internet to both computers? I was looking at routers, and wondering if this is the proper hardware to accomplish it? Also I do not want run wires everywhere, so I plan on go on wireless. Any help suggestions to achieve internet on both computers would help greatly. Thanks in advance,

Cory

sounds like you have a handle on it already. I would recommend that you get netgear wireless router. You will also need to get a wireless network card for the remote pc and another wi fi card for the other pc if it is not close to the router. I would recommend that the pc close to the router be connected by a cat5 cable to the router. you also need to make sure that all your wireless hardware is the same format ie.. 802.11G or B , most hardware now adays is both. After you can connect to the internet on both PC's set wep or wpa encryption to keep neighbors from surfing in on your new wireless. Try to get a router that has both SPI and NAT, just about every router has NAT.

Just curious which actually works better, a router with direct cables to each computer? or the wireless option? Which am i more safe withto prevent hackers?

Thanks

Cory

They should both connect at the same speed. Wireless connections can be unsafe unless they are encrypted and you have a good firewall on both machines.

tractorboy said:
sounds like you have a handle on it already. I would recommend that you get netgear wireless router. You will also need to get a wireless network card for the remote pc and another wi fi card for the other pc if it is not close to the router. I would recommend that the pc close to the router be connected by a cat5 cable to the router. you also need to make sure that all your wireless hardware is the same format ie.. 802.11G or B , most hardware now adays is both. After you can connect to the internet on both PC's set wep or wpa encryption to keep neighbors from surfing in on your new wireless. Try to get a router that has both SPI and NAT, just about every router has NAT.

Can someone post a link to futureshop or sumthing like that, to see what the cards I need to purchase if I go wireless?

Thanks again..

Cory

Okay tell me if I got this set up correct....

The new Dell Computer is going to be my main computer which will have the direct internet connection (cable high speed). It already has the "Integrated 10/100 Ethernet" card installed along with Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter.

Now I buy a wireless router and hook it up to the new computer directly. The wireless router comes with a USB adapter. So from there I hook it to the new computer with the router and cables and take the USB adapter to the older computer, correct?

My old computer has a ethernet card installed for the high speed internet. Is this all I need?

So if anyone understands what I just wrote and can give some help or ideas would be great. Please give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Cory

Back
Top Bottom