Networking with crossover cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralChaos

Baseband Member
Im having a hard time getting this to work.

Basically, at work I have a desktop computer and a laptop. there is no ethernet line running into here so I get on the network with the laptop via wireless.

I want to connect the laptop and desktop together to share files and the connection.

I plug the crossover into both and they both recognise the cable as being there. The problem is I cant get them to see eachother to share files, nor share the connection.

Ive made them both the same workgroup, ive tried making them both the same ip's (IE 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.2) and ive tried entering the gateway of the laptop as the gateway in the desktop, and nothing is working.

the desktop is win2k, and the laptop is winxp.

any ideas?

Try Start>search for computers. That mostly works with me. The other computer should appear in Network Neighbourhod after some time.

First, make sure that the WindowsXP firewall is down or off. This can cause local network ssues if not used properly. For testing purposes though, just turn it off. Once it is off and you have the cable connected, make your IPs 10.10.10.x and the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0 or whatever). The gateway wont matter in this case. Then click start > run > cmd and hit enter (from the XP machine) and type "ping 10.10.10.x" (use the ip of the 2000 machine. Any results?

the xp firewall is off.

I try to ping the other computer and they arent going through.

the computers ip's (locally) are 196.168.0.1 and .2

and the subnets are the 255.255.255.0

both of the cards do work, ethernet was used on this desktop previously, and my laptop uses it quite often.

the desktop seems very old if that can account to anything.

and ive looked over the cable 3 times now and it seems correct, and wouldnt the computers stay as "network cable unplugged" if it was broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom