Networking Windows 98

matthiasj

Baseband Member
I need help networking windows xp with windows 98. I think i have everything installed correctly.

Client for Microsoft Networks
D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter
NetBEUI
TCP/IP
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

I found an article on the internet that says i need to install the internet connection sharing (ICS) from the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Setup Tab>Internet Tools>Details. From there it says i should check the Internet Connection Sharing Box, and set it up from there. But when i click on it, it says "Your Network configuration is not complete. Please install your network hardware before installing internet connection sharing."

Heres the Article - http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_98

I'm running Windows 98SE on one computer, and Windows XP Home Edition on the other computer. I've got an external DSL modem plugged into a D-Link DSH-5 hub, and my Windows XP computer is plugged into the hub, and the internet works fine, i've got the Windows 98 computer plugged in, and all the lights are on on the hub.

Please help, i really need to get both of these computer working.

Router-is what you need. hubs are dumb and only work at a physical layer and is merley extending the run from the modem to teh nic.

so thats why... cuase yoru otehr machine isnt getting its own IP. routers give ips.

thats why it isnt connecting to teh net

ok, update, it works, but i have a problem. I cant "share" the internet connection, i have to switch it between computers. When i click internet explorer, it asks for my password for my DSL, and when i put it in it switches the connection to that computer. The shared files and everything still work, with or without the internet. I have earthlink.

since you have a hub it dont give you an ip and you wont have the option to share.

theres no Network Address Translation-so your prvate (192.168.0.1 range) will not connect to the public IP space so you wont be able to connect.

Please pick up a router they are under 40 bucks and cna save you ltos of trouble!!

Back
Top Bottom