Networking Science Fair Projects

Jake Harris

In Runtime
Hey Everyone!

A Friend Of Mine is doing a Science Fair Project in School (G11) and would like to know what project's he could do for the Science Fair? Anyone have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Jake

rofl, it just clicked with me that this was a "networking" science fair. I guess I just like blowing things up... Sorry about that.
How about a demonstration of wireless network security using wireshark to sniff packets out? Bound to open a lot of people's eyes.

Good Idea. He was thinking of doing how a Network Works? And the different kind's of network's and that kind of stuff? What do you think of that?

That would be interesting...do it on cracking WEP wireless network encryption. It would be pretty easy, all the documentation you'd need is online and can be found with a simple Google search.

Just plug a wireless router in, set up a WEP network with a weak password, and have another laptop be transmitting to it while you crack it on your own laptop.

The tool you want is called aircrack-ng. As far as I know it only runs on Linux. You could definitely set something like this up:
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

That can crack a password very quickly (a couple minutes max) so it should be a good demo.

He could do "How Networks work", but I think it might be a bit broad (though I don't know how much time each student has, how long the fair lasts for, etc...). Honestly I think that would be kind of hard (for people who don't know that much about computers, let alone how they communicate with each other) to understand because it could get kind of technical. I suppose if he kept it simple it could work.

I'm actually kind of excited about this. He should film his "presentation" of his project and put it on you-tube so we can watch.

The fair is for 2 1/2 hours. The problem is he forgot to ask if he's allowed to bring in his laptop to hook it up..... so the science fair is on the first tuesday back so he's going to be asking if he can bring in his laptop.... if so he'll do the one freestyler suggested, if not he'll do the how network works one. And Daeva, He's a qualified in Network + He going to have to do both of them xD in like 3 days xD and find out if he's allowed to bring in his laptop on the science fair date xD

Wow, don't see that too often in high school (at least not before). Wish him good luck for me, I'm sure it will be pretty cool.

Dam you reply fast. I dont know if I'd be able to hook up a wireless router there? Because dont you need some sort of modem hooked up to it aswell?

Back
Top Bottom