Networking Problem.

elpea117

Baseband Member
Ok first of all thank you in advance to anybody that actually reads this and trys to help me out. I like to think I have some pretty good computer experience but i dont think i've had a problem yet that pissed me off as much as this one.

Background info:
Im running Windows vista 64bit
I have two integrated Realtek ethernet ports
And...thats probably all you really need to know about my computer

So this is the whole story. Im living at college and i went home for the weekend. I came back on monday to find my internet not working. So the first thing i did was try a different ethernet cable, and it worked. For about a day. And then it wasn't working again. So I did ipconfig in the command line and it said that there was no media connected. So I figured it was either the cable or the jack in the wall.
I tried 3 different cables that i KNOW work, none of them worked. I had 3 friends try their laptops on the same jack in the wall, it worked fine for them. So its not the cable, not the jack, must be the computer.
So I looked under the device manager and it said that both ethernet ports are working properly. About a month or two before, I overclocked my CPU about 600 MHZ, so i thought that maybe the system was instable. So i ran prime95 and it was not stable, so i returned the CPU to the stock speed, i ran it again and it said it was stable. So then i returned my BIOS to the defaults to make sure it was EXACTLY the same as before. Still not working. I tried a new ethernet card, didnt work. I partitioned my hardrive and installed windows on the other partition and it didnt work there either, WTF!? Everything else works, the ethernet cards show up as working properly and everything, it just says that there is nothing connected to it. Oh and the lights do not light up on my ethernet ports, as if there is nothing connected to it at all.

So you have two Integrated ports on your motherboard and neither work? Adding an ethernet card into a PCI slot didn't work?

Go into a command prompt and perform the following commands and tell me if they help.

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Also to be doubly sure, reinstall the NIC drivers.

Are you getting any link lights on your NICs?

I assume you are able to ping 127.0.0.1 and get a reply, are you behind a router?

If so can you connect to your router?

No i do not get link lights, however, when i connected to the new ethernet card that i tried installing i got link lights, but the card still didnt work. And yes i got a reply when i pinged 127.0.0.1. and no i dont believe i am behind a router, all of this happened at random.

If you didn't get any kind of link lights my first impression would be that the NIC might be dead.

As for when you put the new NIC in did you disable the old ones or even uninstall them? If not and you still have the new NIC try re-installing it, but un-install or disable the old NIC.

Once you have installed the new one, go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /renew.

See if it works.

Back
Top Bottom