Networking for a LAN

OTSS

In Runtime
Alright how would this work. First off none of this will be connected to the internet. We will be networking 16 xbox 360's for halo 3 and we were gonna buy a 24 port switch. Will there be any connection issues between xbox's? Also if I were to connect 8 more xbox's for GTA4 would they be able to connect to each other while the 16 xbox's are playing Halo 3? We will have a game for each xbox so that is not a problem. We just want to make sure it is lag free and will be able to connect before we buy the 24 port switch.

You will be able to run simultaneous games across that one switch.

Personally, if you want the games to run as smoothly as possible, then I'd go out and by a switch which you can configure Vlans on.

The reason I say this is because you don't want Halo broadcasts and GTA4 Broadcasts on the same switch! All game packets that are sent out for GTA4, will be flooded to all ports on the switch..regardless on whats connected to them.

Vlans will allow you to split up your broadcast domains for both games, which in non-geek language, means you can have HALO3 designated 16 ports, and GTA4 designated 8 ports. (Means HALO3 and GTA4 will be on different networks on the same switch). This will require you to manually configure IP addresses on each xbox (but thats pretty simple to do).

Does the switch that you're looking at purchasing have VLAN capability? if it is, I can talk you through the steps for configuring the VLAN. It is not difficult at all.

P.S... You may find that running both games on the same switch is fine without having to use VLANs but as for latency issues, you wont know unless you put the network together and find out. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you want some more advice, just flick me a PM, Ill be more than happy to reply.

Depending on the speed of your switch will also be a factor. 100MB out each port should be ample for what you want to do. 10MB switch out each port won't do you any favors.

Wow thanks. And welcome to the site. We are actually going to buy the switch next month but I am sure I can figure it out now that you explained what to look for. Plus I am sort of a perfectionist so I will be looking it up online and making sure we know what we are doing.

Back
Top Bottom