Networking Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
Hi.

I'm new to networking, and would like to know a lot about it, since I would like to set one up sometime in the future.

I have a few questions:

- What are the main types of networking?
- What does one type offer, that another doesn't?
- What hardware and software requirements are needed to set up a network?
- What are the differences between networking on different operating systems (Windows, OS X, Linux), and which platform would you say is most efficient and why?
- On different operating systems, what is the most efficient way of managing a network?
- What forms of maintenance are required to achieve optimum network stability?
- Lastly, I understand that the internet is a large network, how do ISP's link computers to other computers/network servers?

If you don't have the time to explain any of these, then directing me to some useful articles/tutorials would be absolutely great!

Thanks a lot for your time and effort,
TMT.

Please, can somebody help? I'm eager to learn as soon as possible.

Thanks,
TMT.

I beleive the reason your not getting any responses is your questions are too wide an area to cover, and too vague. Whole books have been written on each thing you have queried, I can however, try to summarise a little for you;

In regards to what type of networking, youll either be referring to the transmission medium, or the toplogies I presume. You can network over cable, (CAT5e typically), wireless (2.44ghz Wi-Fi typically), copper coax, (very old fashioned). Toplogies refer to the way you 'lay the network out' IE, do you have each PC looking at a central PC (the server), or is each PC a little 'server' all by itself, or perhaps theres a server handling different parts of the network. These topologies are described by names such point-to-point, star, ring. You would be best to research this on the Internet.

Diffferences in type is typically security, stability & speed. A cabled network will be much faster than a wireless one. Depending on the type of cable however, & the topology, would also determine the speed of the network.

To set a network up, you need hardware with NIC (network interface cards), a transmission medium, (either cable or wireless) and to know how to set up file sharing and such within your OS. It doesnt matter wither its WIN32 enviroments, UNiX or MAC, all have networking wizards, and all allow basic peer to peer file sharing which at its heart, is what networkings all about. Sharing resources!

In regards to managing networks on different operating systems, thats dependent on the OS you use on your server. Windows Server 2003 offers excellent GUI functinoality, where as Linux (any of its distros') are a little more difficult.

Network stability is a black art and can not be covered by me here.

The internet works with routers, switches and such throughout the world. Routers share lookup tables with each other, as packets of data travel from one router to another, it keeps going until it finds the network the packet is destined too, and the router 'routes' it there.

I suggest you learn about the following topics before you start your network;

OSI seven layer model
Subnetting, VLans, & protocols
Routers & switches
cabling protocols and rules
learn how to make caT5 cables

Thanks a lot, mfdc! I really appreciate your response! Helpful!

Thanks again,
TMT.

if, when your setting up your network, you have specific questions, then feel free to get in touch. PM me, and you can have my email address. Id be more than happy to offer any advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom