Networking a dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
Hello,

Recently we have had a wireless network set up in our house. The network hub sits next to the desktop and my laptop sits in another room and connects to the hub wirelessly.

Eventually we plan to get ADSL/broadband/whatever, but it is still very expensive in our country. Anyway - until that time I would like to be able to share my dial up connection so that when the desktop is connected to the internet (dial up), my laptop can use that same connection through the wireless network.

At the moment I can't seem to get this to work. Another problem I am facing - my laptop can access the other PC and its printer fine, but the PC can't seem to access the laptop.

Help me please :eek:

What is the problem exactly? Just they cant the one cant talk to the other or the internet connection doesnt work on all the computers? You already have ICS turned on?

My PC connects to my dial up internet connection.

How can I share this through a wireless network, to my laptop?

This is a tough one actually..maybe someone who has actually done it can be of better help cause I would just be taking some professional guesses. What I myself would try is turning on ICS (internet connection sharing) on the machine that has the dial up connection. What OS's are you running for the desktop and laptop? Also you need to get the network sorted out before worrying about the internet sharing. If these two machines cant talk to each other correctly just as a LAN then sharing the internet will prove to be more difficult or impossible only pertaining to dial-up of course. If it was broadband it would matter less if they were networked or not.

Exactly, that is why I can't wait to get broadband. However, that time will come.

The dial up connection is shared from the PC, but like you said, they can't talk to each other properly. I am not sure why this is, I have never been able to get them to do it. Are there settings or something that I can change?

Both the laptop and PC are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2

The useless windows help suggests you run the network confirguation wizard, as oppoesed to actually telling you how to do it. *sigh* Anyway, Start>Network connections>blue bar on left>"Set up home or office network"

If someone knows how to really do it, then add another person who wants to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom