Networking a Desktop and Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevFromNy

Baseband Member
Hello, I need some help. I have3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop that I recently purchased but all are on the same router. I am able to connect the 2 desktops and share files but I cannot connect the laptop to the network. I ran the network wizzard on the laptop the exact same way I did on the desktop and gave it the same domain name yet it will not show up on the network. Is there something im doing wrong and can some one give me some help.

On the laptop:

Click Start > Run > "command" then ok > type "ipconfig" in the command prompt window then hit enter: Take the IP address you get from this and try to ping this address from another computer.

From another computer: Start > Run > "command" then ok > type "ping x.x.x.x" ("x's" being the IP address you got from the laptop.

What are the results? If you get a good ping, then it just sounds like you don't have File and Printer Sharing Enabled on the laptop.....if you don't get a good result from the ping then we can take a second look from that point.

cmd, not command for XP

I agree with the last entry but 'command' works on systems up to Windows Me only. For XP you need to type cmd.

I suspect the most likely reason for your problem relates to antivirus software on your laptop.

Take a look at this home networking troublshooter page to find out how to fix this or other problems that may be causing your lack of connectivity:

Home Network Troubleshooterhttp://home-network-troubleshooter.awardspace.com/

command and cmd are actually a little different, however in XP, "ipconfig" and "ping" can both be used with either command or cmd

Re: cmd, not command for XP

donaldmack said:
I agree with the last entry but 'command' works on systems up to Windows Me only. For XP you need to type cmd.

donaldmack said:
Thanks. I didn't know that!

If you didn't know ... then how were you able to state that command didn't work for XP? :p hehe (just playing around with ya)

I pinged both my computers. When I ping the laptop from my desktop It say sent 4 packets and received 4 packets. When I ping the desktop from the laptop it says sent 4 packets and received o packets. Anyone know what I should do from there.

KevFromNy said:
I pinged both my computers. When I ping the laptop from my desktop It say sent 4 packets and received 4 packets. When I ping the desktop from the laptop it says sent 4 packets and received o packets. Anyone know what I should do from there.

Ok, it's safe to assume that the laptop can access the internet then? Just not share files over your network?

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the laptop?

Does your laptop have a firewall enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom