Networking 2 PCs

sunts

Baseband Member
hey guys.

i purchased a DI-514 wireless router on specail. i dont want to pay any more money for these bloody computers, so i wanted to network them will cable, and not have to purchase additional wireless network cards.

BUT..how and where do i start? ive tried doing it before, and it suffed up the cable internet connection, and so i had to disconnect them. i really wanted to share the internet between the two PCs, but the service provider (optus) said they dont allow it, that why it wont work. even if i dont share the internet connection and just share the resources on either computer, whats the best way of hooking them up? do i just use the network wizard on windows XP or what?? i used cat 5 cable.

main computer - running win XP, other computer has win 98.

thanks guys/ gals
Assunta

Ok
Your router has 4 ports in the back of it.. Get 2 cat5e cables.

plug them in to the back of the router. One cable to XP, one cable to win98

Run the network setup wizard on your Xp Computer. Make sure you have internet there. When the wizard asks you to make a setup disk. Pop in your floppy and make the disk..

Take that disk over to the win98 machine and run the wizard. It should be all set.

As for sharing the internet connection.. Thats what a router is for.. All your ISP will see is only one computer (your router). The Router will then distrubute the connection to your computers.

Back
Top Bottom