Network with crossover cable

--jINKS--

Solid State Member
I recently got a NIC card to hook up to my bros, got a croosover cable and was rdy to play tribes from one cpu to another,but tribes or any other game can't find niether of our pc's, help would be greatly appreciatted :)

P.S I have tried entering in a "gateway" on the NIC properties still a no go

Direct connection with a cross over cable needs both of you to have static IP's and be on the same workgroup.

BullDog(UK)

can u ping the other computer?
and try sharing one file and check if the other computer can see that file.

ok @_@ i am totally new at networking, can u guys possibly give me instructions or point me in the right direction, on how to do what u said?? :confused:

ok his static ip is :172.161.100.2

mine is: 172.161.100.1

and as for the workgroup, both are comps is named "workgroup" where workgroup is. I don't know how to share the files, to test the connection, sorry

ok heres an update I found a tutorial on how to do it, problem is my PC won't allow me to share, if I right click on something it doesnt show the"sharing" option, but my bros will...now I need severe help plz

--jINKS-- said:
ok heres an update I found a tutorial on how to do it, problem is my PC won't allow me to share, if I right click on something it doesnt show the"sharing" option, but my bros will...now I need severe help plz
Right click on a folder, then choose properties (I think) and then choose the sharing tab. From there u can choose to share the file.

And as for pinging his machine.
start -> run -> cmd and then type "ping 172.161.100.2" without the ".
And then it starts to ping the ip, which is just sending small packets to see if it can connect to the other ip.
By default it will send 3 packets, if u want it to continue sending them just put "-t" (again without the ") as in minus t
so it would look like

ping 172.161.100.2 -t

and then it will ping it until u want it to stop. Usefull if u are messing around with the settings so then u will see if u get a connection.

ok thnks for the reply, I righted clicked on a folder and properties,but no sharing option, I also pinged it, this is what it said:

Pinging 172.161.100.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timeout.
Request timeout.
Request timeout.
Request timeout.

Ping statistics for 172.161.100.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0,

Lost = 4 (100% loss), Approximate round trip times
in mili seconds: minimum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

His comp says the exact the same thing, sigh im sorry, I forgot to mention tht him and I are on both windows 98se.

--jINKS-- said:
ok thnks for the reply, I righted clicked on a folder and properties,but no sharing option, I also pinged it, this is what it said:

Pinging 172.161.100.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timeout.
Request timeout.
Request timeout.
Request timeout.

Ping statistics for 172.161.100.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0,

Lost = 4 (100% loss), Approximate round trip times
in mili seconds: minimum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

His comp says the exact the same thing, sigh im sorry, I forgot to mention tht him and I are on both windows 98se.

So they are not even able to connect together.
U sure that the cable and the network cards on both computers are working?

Well my NIC card is new, his is old, and the wire was made by my dad's friend, so I have of no way to actually test them, but when I reinstalled his card becuase of driver problems his cpu found the NIC card on there, so it acts like it works.

Back
Top Bottom