network troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
if i have my 10/100 mobo integrated running at the same time as my wireless, the wireless doesnt work.

i am attempting to network to a Mac... so i don't know if the 10/100 works when the wireless stops working.

what is going wrong?

If you have the wired connection connected and being use at the same time as the wireless connection being used, then the computer will use the wired connection because it has the lowest cost. Meaning the wired NIC is faster than the wireless. Is this the issue?

i want to try and network the mac and the pc using a direct, cross CAT5.

i want to use my internet connection (through the wireless) and share it, so i can have internet on the mac.

if the wired connection is plugged into the mac, the wireless will connect, but i have no internet, or sometimes it just won't connect.

i am not quite sure about how to configure the mac. at the moment, i have given it a static IP, and set the "router" as the PC's IP. (which also has a static IP)

If i try and bridge the wired and wireless connections, then the wireless refueses to give me internet access.

When you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to the local area network is assigned a static IP address of 192.168.0.1.

is this why the wireless wont connect when "share internet connection" is on?

that link seems to be saying the computer doing the sharing needs to be connected to the modem... can it be doing it through the wireless network?

i am still confused, so i shall make a diagram:

Internet
|
|
router (IP: 192.168.2.1)
My PC (IP: 192.168.2.50, DNS: 123.456.789.0) (wireless = "share internet connection")
|
|
|
Mac (IP: 192.168.2.51, DNS: 123.456.789.0)

is this right?

Is 192.168.2.50 the IP address of the wireless adaptor? What is the address of the wired adaptor, it should be by default 192.168.0.1 when you enable ICS, therefore the MAC that's connected to the wired adaptor it's adaptor should be 192.168.0.2 or in the range of that subnet.

the wired adaptor is at 192.168.2.60 at the moment.

i will set it to 192.168.2.1 and see what happens

No you need to let ICS do that for you, and 192.168.2.1 is taken from by your router already. ICS will assign 192.168.0.1 by default to the wired adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom