Network question

A PCIe AC wireless card with a good antenna would preform better than a wireless usb. Although going wired would be better, but I do not know how you were planing to run wired when your ethernet ports are not working
He's using a USB ethernet adapter so he's already on ethernet. Depending on his package that might be the cap.

He's using a USB ethernet adapter so he's already on ethernet. Depending on his package that might be the cap.

For the second identical computer that I have yet to upgrade to a PCI-e Graphics card you are right.

For the desktop connected by Wi-Fi the built in ethernet ports far as I know are good.

If 10Mb/s upload speed isn't enough for streaming I'll have to get the next better internet package which means I have to also buy a new modem.

Thinking I may go with the metal cable clamps, but I may get a larger size so I can put both the cable wire and ethernet cable in them from the house to the pole by the house. Currently the cable wire is laying in the bottom track of the underpinning and the ethernet cable has no real place to be routed and I can't have it laying around. Most likely I'll leave maybe 10' of slack inside the room the modem is in so if I wanted to move the modem I could do so.

Think have up to 150Mb/s download speed, but my dad was streaming youtube on the TV when I ran the test on the PC with USB ethernet adapter so that possibly knocked the speed down some plus other internet traffic may have affected the speed.

Now that PCI-E ethernet card would that offer any speed benefit over the existing internal ethernet ports?

Last edited:
It won't offer any additional benefit if your built in ports are working and are gigabit. I was only going off the info you posted during the speed tests saying it was a USB to ethernet adapter. Let's concentrate on the main machine for now.

The USB to ethernet was only mentioned due to that being the machine I used to see if ethernet provided a speed increase.

I don't know if the ethernet ports are gigabit as the PC is from 2010.

So having two ethernet ports would allow one for network connection and one for a piece of equipment or two for equipment.

I got the cable and metal clamps ordered. Should be here Saturday and I will install Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom