Network question

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
I have a modem in my room inside where my other computer is and in my 12' X 12' building I have my main computer which currently is connected by Wi-Fi.

It wouldn't be easy to run an ethernet cable from my room to the building.

The house is on a separate meter from the building which gets power from my dad's shop so any power line solution won't work.

And no moving the router to the building is not an option as I would need to make a hole for the cable to come up through and I'd have to route the cable which I'd have to do anyways with an ethernet cable.

Without running a cable, how can I get a wireless connection as fast as ethernet for a reasonable price?

The answer is short and simple - you need a high-speed internet connection and you need to buy/obtain a router that gives you the Wi-Fi speed you need. They are already very cheap today.
The second option is even simpler, but may not make a big difference - namely, use 5 GHz transmission instead of 2.4 GHz. You can only do this if your computer and current router allow it.

So basically I can get a wifi router and plug into my existing cable modem and get a 5GHz wifi adapter for the pc, right?

Think I currently get 72.2Mb/s from my current Wi-fi connection which is a USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Now to get faster internet requires a new cable modem which i cant afford yet.

Oh ok so that is the total speed period of sending and receiving right?

So when I'm streaming and playing fortnite that wouldn't be enough would it?

Now where can I get a reasonably priced maybe 50' or greater ethernet cable meant for outdoors use?

If I use an ethernet cable is it possible to use a switch and make it two connections so I can run one to my pc and the other to another pc? Or would that reduce bandwidth too much for streaming.

See i know I'm going to need another computer either for the game or streaming. As my current one can't do both reasonably well.

If you're looking at that number on task manager or the stats display for the connection under network adapters that would be total bandwidth of the connection at that particular time. Interference and others on the connection will cause dips below that 72Mb which is already halved because Wifi is half duplex. So realistically you have at best 36Mb both ways until it dips. Technically streaming only requires 3-5Mb for a 720p source but when streaming that connection is consistently being used which increases latency and will cause signal dips. If you weren't streaming that bandwidth would be fine, but due to the nature of wifi constantly using the upload while trying to use the download for the gaming connection (even if it's small packets) is just not ideal.
You could get an AC or AX router and match that with a comparable PCI-E card but you still might run into issue depending on distance, interference, etc.

A cable like this would be fine going outdoors.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Shielded-Resistant-Waterproof-Buried-able/dp/B07CYK97BC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QYLGGK8GMTIH&dchild=1&keywords=100+ft+outdoor+ethernet+cable&qid=1619017385&sprefix=100ft+outdoor+et,aps,172&sr=8-3

And to properly answer your question before, outdoor gigabit rated wireless equipment does exist, but it's meant for long range applications while also being pretty expensive.

Figured it would be expensive for wireless.

I may get that cable when I get paid next Thursday.

Now once I have it in my building is it possible to use a network switch and send it to two computers while still having enough bandwidth to stream and play the game properly?

Figured it would be expensive for wireless.

I may get that cable when I get paid next Thursday.

Now once I have it in my building is it possible to use a network switch and send it to two computers while still having enough bandwidth to stream and play the game properly?
Sorry got carried away with wireless and forgot that question. Yes, if the other end of that cable has a router then it'll assign an IP address to each machine with both having gigabit bandwidth available (depending on router and switch purchased).

Back
Top Bottom