Network Packet Encoding/Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrusher

Beta member
here is my question:

I am looking at some packets comming and going from my computer, and i would like to decode them. how do i decode them?
That is a very simple..... or is it not?

--redcrusher

If you want to see them try using a program called Ethereal, or are you already looking at them?

What is in the packets depends on what software is using them. You will need the relevant software to decode each different type I imagine.

Well I think only that particular piece of software will know how to understand the data, as it is complex and made of many packets stuck together. You will need to learn about that particular program I think.

partially, you are correct. The program does have MANY packets!but i t is not many packets in 1. they are all sent separately. so i can isolate the packets individually.

Well yeah I can see that. What are you using to analyse the packets? Is it Ethereal? All the packets you can see are stuck back together at the other end by the software. So you will need to know where a "block" of data begins and ends I think, before you can start analysing the data.

You look at packets, the plain text, from IM programs for example, can be read by humans because it is text, human readable, nice and easy. But for things like games, there are co-ordinates for players and other numbers and much more involved, so you need to know how the software works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom