Network issue (Ethernet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wodjee

Solid State Member
Hello,

My motherboard burned so i had to buy a new one. Everything is working well but the integrated Ethernet port (Marvell miniPort).

When i plug the RJ45 cable on the back of the motherboard (when my computer is switched off) The "100" led turns green and the ACT/link led begins to blink green very fast. In windows (with the last drivers) the connection is "limited or not working".

I have a laptop too, which is connecting fine to the internet with the same RJ45 cable and same modem cable. I only switch the cable between my 2 computers.

My first thought was that the integrated ethernet port was not working. So i plugged a Realtek PCI ethernet card in.

Same result : Last drivers, "100" led turned up green and the ACT/link keep blinking all the time whatever i do, even with computer off.

Full system reinstallations didn't help.

So my questions are the followings :

- Can the RJ45 or modem cable be involved when they are running fine with my laptop ?

- If a motherboard integrated port is not working, can it affect a PCI card with the same port ? (Ethernet in my case)

- Any other thought about how to find out where from the issue is coming ?

Thanks a lot for any kind of help =)

My system :

ASUS p4p800 SE
Intel p4 2.8c
Geforce FX5900XT

Ive done this already, it leads me to :

your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.

Means it doesnt find any DHCP server. so its like i hadnt my modem plugged in no ?

So when you said you reinstall Windows, did you do a clean install like format everything and then reinstall or did you just reinstall over the existing Windows?

If you reinstall over the existing Windows try running winsockfix. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Another issue that comes to my mind after a clean install is the result of MAC address filtering by your ISP. Yes they will only allow 1 computer to connect to the modem that means if the other computer can connect to the modem and get online do a ipconfig /all on that computer and write down it's physical address (MAC address).

Now on this computer that you are having issue, you will have to spoof the MAC address (change it so it appear to be coming from the other computer).

There's alot of ways of doing it but the one that I use is the registry.

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Some ppl actually reinstall a windows over another without formating ? =) Well ive done it properly.

i was also thinking about that possible MAC issue, if it writes down the first MAC id, it means my old motherboard has been regged. Then why have i been able to run it with my laptop ? because maybe it allows 2 different MAC ids but not more

Maybe should i contact them and see if its a mac issue, because i think it will be pretty hard to change it so it appears like my old mac id or like my laptop mac id. If you change MAC adress in the registry, does it affect the Hardware (flash memory etc) or not ?
If not then i think i will try it, can always reinstall if i mess up my registry :)

I could also try to connect at a friend home, just hopin it wont mess up his connection with that MAC issue :)

They made limit how many different MAC that can connect to the modem. Probably why you can have the old motherboard and the laptop use it but not the new one.

How about using a router? Do you have one?

Also have you try the winsockfix?

Don't need a router, i only used that laptop to access internet while my main comptuer wasnt working. So only one computer will be connected to internet when its working fine.

Yes i tried the winsock fix. That MAC issues seems very possible to me, because everything seems to work well on my computer.

Ahhhhh well.

My NIC allows Clone MAC address. so i just tried to put my Laptop MAC address to my main computer and it works =)

Thanks to my ISP, gonna flame them one of those days.

Thanks a lot man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom