Network Help/Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbeales

Beta member
Hi,

I have experience with networks, but I am still kind of a nOOb, as you will see...

I need a little help with the TCP/IP settings for my network.

I have two servers and about 25 clients.

The two servers:

* RBD-SRV-01 (Windows Server 2003)
Role: DC with AD and also used as the file server.

* RBD-SQL-01 (Windows Server 2000)
Role: Sql Server for shop database.

Do these settings and order sound correct?

1. Assign servers IP addresses.

RBD-SRV-01 (Domain Controller)
IP: 10.0.0.10

RBD-SQL-01 (Sql Server)
IP: 10.0.0.20

2. Use a common submask for both machines.

3. DNS (use the DCs IP address?) for both machines.

4. Set Gateway for the router for both machines.

5. Configure RBD-SRV-01 as a DHCP server.
Scope, 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.254
Router IP, 10.0.0.1
Parent Domain IP, 10.0.0.10 (use the DCs IP address?)
No Wins

6. Install DNS and AD on the DC (DC Server)

Run DCPROMO
Under connection use,
TC/IP and enter, 10.0.0.10 (use the DCs IP address?)
Gaetway, 10.0.0.1
DNS server, 127.0.0.1

Restart RBD-SRV-01 (DC Server)

7. Authorize the DHCP Server (DC Server)
open DHCP window
right-click on server and click authorize.

8. populate active directory, etc.

Is the DNS server IP adrress supposed to be the same IP address as the Domain controller?

And, why am I to set the DNS IP adress to, 127.0.0.1, during DCPROMO and not the IP adrress of the DC?

I'm a little confused on which IP addresses to use.

Thanks,
Thomas

127.0.0.1 is the IP address of localhost, which is always your PC.

And usually you also run DNS on your domain controller, and this is why yoru DNS and domain controller are usually one in the same.

Thank you,

I'll use the IP settings I mentioned and the set up order and see if all goes well.

When running DCPROMO I get a warning message that says, TCP/IP settings not configured, please make sure a network cable is attached and a DHCP server is available.

I dont want to put the server on the network yet, so no cable is plugged in, and this is the DHCP server?

I configured the TCP/IP settings for this machine and installed DHCP.

Any ideas why I'm getting that message?

Thanks in advance.

OK,

Just had to give the server a heartbeat by plugging the network cable into a switch/hub.

It's just one of those message you can ignore, you should always configured the server TCP/IP setting manually. Everything looks correct. The reason you would use the localhost address (127.0.0.1) is because if you have two NIC card, the server will have two IP address but it will always have 1 local address so it would be smart to use the local address to point to itself because the address never changes.

All you have to do now is configured the DNS to forward query request to the ISP DNS server when it can't resolve name to IP address and you should be good.

Thanks again.
Speaking of ISPs. I didn't want to use internet sharing through the server. I was thinking of just adding a Linksys router to the switch to allow internet access for all clients. Is there a simalar option that my be better? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom