Network driver installed and recognized but not connecting

jcon891

Daemon Poster
I am working at a computer repair shop and I'm having a little trouble. I am reinstalling drivers on a computer I just reformatted and it was not connecting to the internet so i figured the network driver wasn't installed. I checked and it is installed and recognized. I even reinstalled.

It's still not connecting to the internet though. any ideas?

it is a Compaq Presario
model number SR1703WM
Windows XP Home

Thanks for any help

If it is installed and recognized it should be working fine. Are there any packets being sent or recieved?

Have you tired replacing the ethernet cable?

This is wired I'm assuming. Look at the back lights on the NIC and tell me what color they are and how fast they are blinking.

Example: Orange and it is blinking really fast.

Open the device manager, and you probably already have, but if that isn't how you checked

right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. Is there Anything that's not being recognized on there? (Big yellow question marks)

Also, does it say Limited or No Connectivity? ;) I hate that one.

-Q

jo5h - i have 5 ethernet cables that are all working on other computers in the shop but none work on the compaq :(

there are no packets being sent or recieved but network connections tells me it's "connected and firewalled"

Captain Pooka - the NIC light is solid green. In device manager, yes there are some devices that aren't recognized. The network adapter is not on there though. it is recognized and the computer tells me it's working but the computer is just not connecting.

Thanks for the responses, i'll check back soon.

Tell me what is marked as a question mark in your device manager.

Run CMD and type in

ping google.com

See if you get a reply.

If you have them all hooked up, maybe your provider only offers you so many IPs , try takeing some off and either repairing your compaq or restarting it.

multimedia audio controller
video controller

those are the devices that i haven't installed drivers for yet.

cmd tells me it can not ping google.

tried taking out some ethernets but i've had 7+ computers hooked up at a time here with no problem.

ty for reply

And you say the light is green.. hmm

Well you are in a shop, try swapping the NICs.. see if a different one works in that computer, and if that one works in another.

You got me... Make sure you don't have a program like Zone Alarm.. disable the firewalls for a second and see if you can get on, maybe something is blocking the internet. If you can't ping google then it's hardware or something blocking.

that was my next option. I don't have any network cards to work with right now unless i use a new one so i'll wait for my boss to bring one in.

Thanks for the help :) appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom