network connection problem

orpey1

Baseband Member
I have been given a advent laptop which apparently hasn't been used for about 6 months. I was told it did connect to the internet. When I try now it picks up my wireless network but will not connect. Anybody have any ideas or advice please.

The only thing I can think of is that you got it secured and you need a password or it doesn't have a good enough signal. You can always try upgrading the driver or reinstalling the same driver

Thanks for your reply. I have it 2 inches away from the router and have updated all the drivers. I have also upgraded windows but that hasnt helped either. I'll keep trying!

Is your network using WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc. security? If so, are you sure you are using the correct security type? And are you sure you have the correct network password?
Are you able to connect wirelessly with another device?
Aside from all of the above, the only other thing I can think of is you might have MAC Filtering enabled on the router and must tell the router what your laptop wireless adapter MAC address is.

yea, what type of security is it using? the laptops card may not support wpa/wpa2 depending on its age. also may be mac filtered.

Back
Top Bottom