Network Boot

Alexander7567

Baseband Member
Hello,
I have a Windows XP Computer. And a few other computers with the same hardware. I am wanting all the other computers to boot into a separate Windows XP (without a Hard Drive) from the windows XP machine.

I have heard of people using PXE to do this. However how do i get the Windows XP to serve the images.

Please keep in mind i am not wanting remote Instillation. I am wanting to boot into windows without a HDD Through the network.

so let me get this right in my head.
you want to boot say 3 other machines that dont have hard drives and you want to boot them from the windows xp machine ?

No I meant I want the server running xp also. If at all possible. I have tried small third party pxe programs but I can't ever figure them out.

I dont think this is possible, It would be possible to PXE boot and boot to an install of linux, but im not to sure if booting to windows xp is possible??

been looking around and this will just bottleneck down to to the hard drive as you will have 5 PC constantly writing to it and all machines will run dead slow and probz even crash at times.
best option is a small business server (SBS)

What service would i use with small business server? If i know that i could probably figure it out from there. This is just a personal venture so I do not plan on spending much money with this.

I was just hoping I could do it without making a domain and running a special OS that I don't have any drivers for.

Is this what i need? Windows Deployment Services. It seems to need ALOT! Sounds like i am going to need multiple networks for my personal computers and these computers, domain, dhcp, dns and all that crap.

I am installing 2003 server Enterprise Edition on a VmWare virtual computer to play around and see how to set this up.

Back
Top Bottom