Network Attached Storage - Raid-1 Question

ErdricK

In Runtime
I have a NAS Unit (DNS-323) with two 500gb Hard Drives in it and its setup as Raid-1. Once a week I want to back the unit up and store it outside my place (Incase of fire, theft etc..)

Anyways backing it up is a pain in the ass, I was using an external hard drive and just dragging and dropping the files on to it which takes forever.

Tell me if this would work.....I would buy a third hard drive and once a week I would swap out one of the drives in the unit and replace it with the extra and the rebuilt the raid...that way the extra I take out each week would already contain all the files on it and I would just store that drive out of my place for a secure backup copy.

Can that work? does it take a long time to rebuild my drives? also, while its rebuilding do you think it would still serve files?

Why don't you just stick a 1TB drive in and format it through windows? Then just copy any files over at SATA 3.0Gbps speed.

Why don't you just stick a 1TB drive in and format it through windows? Then just copy any files over at SATA 3.0Gbps speed.

Not sure I understand...what do you mean format it through windows?

the NAS is a separate unit that has web based controls.

Back
Top Bottom