Network Attached Storage over Internet

mstout24

Beta member
I am taking one of my old desktop towers and turning into an NAS server. The only problem with storing all of my data on it, is I am away from home a lot. Is there anyway to set my NAS server up where I can connect to it from anywhere using the internet?

Please help me.

well if you are going to turn it into a NAS server, you will still need an OS installed on it. windows 7 will do the trick. Then you can use a software called filezilla server to create an FTP server. but you will also have to get a domain name. something like DynDNS lets you register domain names. just google how to setup a FTP server.

Build a Home FTP Server with FileZilla

this has everything you will need!

If you cannot register for DynDNS for dynamic DNS, register at no-ip.org and install their updater on your Windows machine. Lots of people want to buy a NAS these days. I own a QNAP just for the hell of it, but a regular windows PC is fine with FTP. Install a battery backup unit for it, your internet connection and setup a remote administration tool like LogMeIn. This way you can easily get to your computer to repair any FTP issues you have.

Back
Top Bottom