Network Appliance

Milt2016

Baseband Member
I'm CompTIA A_+ certified studying to get my Security + and would like to know how to form a network appliance for my home network. Can I do this by using Software? I'm also confused on Network Appliance, is a Network Appliance hardware? (Like a router) is basically just a router that filters information and packets from a LAN, like a Firewall? I looked it up and researched it but I do not understand it enough to practice implementing it for my own knowledge.

I think Google's answer is fairly satisfying.

Network Appliance:
"a relatively low-cost computer designed chiefly to provide Internet access and without the full capabilities of a standard computer."

Based on that description I'd say that includes all routers and switches.

It might be worth you doing Network+ before Security+.

I work at a call center right now involving a lot of networking and I my CompTIA A+ and resource to google, I'm sure I would save money just taking security + I learn everything new everyday with networkign at my job;therefor, I think I'll be fine.

Well, if you are looking for building and implementing such a thing, look at something like PFSense, SonicWall, IPCop, and similar. Be aware, if you choose the path of PFSense, you better be very familiar with FreeBSD, and have a very good grasp of networking principles as well if you poke into the deeper parts of the software.

As others have posted you may want to increase your networking knowledge a bit before proceeding. However if you do make the move I strongly suggest PFSense as c0rr0sive pointed out above.

I have been using it as the firewall for my home network for almost a year now and I couldn't be more satisfied. It is a very powerful system with lots of excellent options for managing a network properly.

Back
Top Bottom