Network Appliance

Milt2016

Baseband Member
I'm CompTIA A_+ certified studying to get my Security + and would like to know how to form a network appliance for my home network. Can I do this by using Software? I'm also confused on Network Appliance, is a Network Appliance hardware? (Like a router) is basically just a router that filters information and packets from a LAN, like a Firewall? I looked it up and researched it but I do not understand it enough to practice implementing it for my own knowledge.

Yami

Lady Techie
I think Google's answer is fairly satisfying.

Network Appliance:
"a relatively low-cost computer designed chiefly to provide Internet access and without the full capabilities of a standard computer."

Based on that description I'd say that includes all routers and switches.

It might be worth you doing Network+ before Security+.

Milt2016

Baseband Member
I work at a call center right now involving a lot of networking and I my CompTIA A+ and resource to google, I'm sure I would save money just taking security + I learn everything new everyday with networkign at my job;therefor, I think I'll be fine.

c0rr0sive

asdf
Well, if you are looking for building and implementing such a thing, look at something like PFSense, SonicWall, IPCop, and similar. Be aware, if you choose the path of PFSense, you better be very familiar with FreeBSD, and have a very good grasp of networking principles as well if you poke into the deeper parts of the software.

IntelFanboy417

In Runtime
As others have posted you may want to increase your networking knowledge a bit before proceeding. However if you do make the move I strongly suggest PFSense as c0rr0sive pointed out above.

I have been using it as the firewall for my home network for almost a year now and I couldn't be more satisfied. It is a very powerful system with lots of excellent options for managing a network properly.

Top Bottom