network and security setup

vader31201

Solid State Member
What I am trying to achieve.

-Workstation for 3D Modeling and Rendering, Web Hosting(about 3 months down the road), and XMBC.

and

-Network firewall using Devil

My original design thoughts for doing this were/are:
3 750gb drives in RAID 6 (personal files, work files and web hosting)
4 1.5tb drives for media storage split into seperate partitions for each type of media

Cheapo desktop with devil for firewall.

Because of the whole piracy issue on media i would prefer if possible that the storage drives for media were not even connected to the WS. But then how do i connect them to the XMBC? I'm thinking that the drives are on a second machine connected to the firewall. I run the XMBC in vmware and network the drives. Would this work?

Thanks,

Yes but i don't see what difference this makes...Why do you not want the files connected to your work station? what difference would it make? i assume they're only going to be media files. Windows doesn't scan or even look for them. Tbh i'd have 3 computers. One for your devil linux firewall. Going down 1 level you have 2 computers... 1 being your file server which you can run your web server and file server off and the second being the high processing power and high ram computer for your 3d modeling.

The reason i say this is that your personal pc is way more prone to getting infected and running a dedicated server off a user computer is never a good idea. First you will need to restart it for updates. If you're rendering stuff it's going to slow down your web server etc. Unless you're going to have massive traffic going through the web server though, your network card should support about 100Mbps throughout the network which i doubt you have going up. Which means the second computer which hosts web server and media files will be able to successfully serve both without dropping speeds. (Granted make sure you have your media raid and your file server raids seperate)

Yeah i have done some more reading and have sense thought that my idea is stupid LOL

What you suggested is exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom