Network and internet prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artaco

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone,
I searched the forums for a sallution to my prob, and came up short so I decided to post. Here it goes.

I am setting up a new ISP on my network and am not having much luck. The person before me had a DSL connection pluged directly into the switch and a server with 2 nics. Both the nics were pluged into the switch????? He was also running the server as a DC with no DHCP. However some clients were set to recieve their IP's automaticaly (I assumed the were coming from the ISP). His IP addressing schem was 192.168.254.XXX.

Now with all that being said.....
This is a small company with no need for the DC. I have demoted the DC to a stand alone WORKGROUP server. I took the new cable modem, plugged it into on of the NIC cards (NIC1), and set that NIC to obtain IP automaticaly from the ISP. Worked great. The SERVER now has internet. I took the other NIC card (NIC2) and gave it a static IP of 192.168.254.1 (Iwanted to try to keep the 254 network so I would not have to change the static IP's in that already exist in the network) and plugged that into the switch. I tried running DHCP, but I'll get into that later.
Now when I configure the clients, I gave them a static IP in the 192.168.254.XXX network, with a gateway of the NIC2 192.168.254.1. I used the DNS servers that the ISP provides.

I am not running DNS on the server, and want to runn a few services as posible on the server. It is just a file sharing and internet sharing server. If have to change the 192.168.254 Network I will. I dont even know why he chose that. Usually people use 192.168.1.X .

Anyway. Why wont this work. What am I missing. I can provide as much info as anyone needs if I dont have enough provided.

Thanks in advance
Any help appreciated.

What do you mean, what won't work? The DHCP service or the Internet for the client? I can tell you many ways for getting Internet to the client but I don't understand what's wrong with it.

What version of Windows Server?

Do you have MSN?

sorry for not stating my problem.

I can't get the internet on my clients. I did try DHCP, but that did'nt work. I thought it was because of the gateway being wrong. Why do you ask if I have MSN.

Anyway, I can not get the client an internet connection using static IP's. I have done this before without a prob, so I was thinking that it was something with the server settings that the previous admin used. Could it be the 192.168.254.xx network?

If I use ICS it sets the NIC to an IP of 192.168.0.1. (the WAN NIC)
so would that be my gateway on the clients?

Yes, if you use ICS that NIC would be 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 so now the clients would have to be assigned 192.168.0.2 and up and the default gateway for it would be 192.168.0.1 and the DNS from your ISP.

I recommend using RRAS. ICS sucks, it's just a simple NAT software. RRAS give you more features and will turn your server into a router/NAT and firewall. It has VPN feature when you need it later and so on.

RRAS = Routing & Remote Access

This link will give you some idea http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/NAT_Windows_2003_Setup_Configuration.html

WOW.

Nothing is working. I tried the ICS and set my client ip's to 192.168.0.2 with the gateway of 192.168.0.1 and nothing.

After I demoted the domain controler I notice that RRAS is still installed. I cant uninstall it. could this be my problem. Even if I return all my setting back to the way they were, my workgroup cant even access the server. The accounting lady is getting mad.

anyone have any ideas?

one more thing. I have a feeling you need active directory for the rras to work is this correct. If I go to manage RRAS I can see the server and it is up, but ther is nothing under it (ports, interfaces,etc..) If I try to go to the properties of the RRAS it tells me I dont have the privilages. I am logged in as admin. What the **** is going on?

Did you enter the DNS for the clients when you were configuring ICS, try the ISP or 192.168.0.1? Followed these instruction http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307311

If RRAS is configured to use the Windows authentication provider, then RRAS uses Active Directory, the RRAS machine needs only to be running Windows Server 2003; it doesn't need to belong to an Active Directory-based domain. I am not sure about Windows Server 2000 but it will work on a nondomain if running 2003. Try logging into the buildin administrator account and delete those setting if you haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom