Nero Burning Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
So it doesnt underrun when you use an image file but it does when you burn from CD-ROM to CDRW?

I bet your CDROM is on the same IDE bus as your CDRW. Try putting them on different IDE cables.

Well, if your burning from an IMAGE file and its buffer underrunning. Then that may mean you have the HARD DRIVE and the CDRW on the same Bus.

If nothing else is running than a bus issue is really the only possibility aside from failing drive or corrupt software, so i'd say if its not the bus thing then try re-installing nero.

shouldnt really make a difference if its not accessing it while burning from an image.

The drive being on the same IDE cable doesn't make a difference anyway...i've got a LG 48x24x48x and a ACER cd rom drive 40x with 20 gig HDD and they work just fine....but my suggestion would be to enable DMA.....alright ...and put your HDD on primary master and cdrw on primary slave and try things out again.

DMA is Direct Memory Access , instead of processor processing call, the call goes directly to memory bypassing processing time...and essentially working faster,,,

as for the burning issue,,,, I have worked with HP 8200 burners (*on three different occassions) and found them to be the FLAKIEST (if thats a word?) ever!

If you happen to have a friend, or another burner handy, try the same routine,you might be surprised!

cheers!

try the Ricoh, plus, i noticed in another post that you said you used CloneCD without issue,, this is exactly what i was referring to as FLAKY,,, HP 8200 series are so picky it ain't funny!

check your power settings and ensure that you have no power management settings that would interfere,, in other words,, set everything to never...

I am adding a few other posts that I have come across that are VERY similar to yours, plus some tips and other info,,

You will see that you are not alone with your fine HP product..(sorry Mate)
Buffer Underrun Errors - How to waste CDR:s

When burning audio-cd's it is absolutely critical that the data-stream from the harddrive to the CD-writer is as continious as possible. The CD-writer has an internal memory-buffer to compensate for small gaps, but if your harddrive or your CPU is interrupted for to long, the CD-writer will run out of data. Because the CD-writer cannot wait, this will cause gaps and noise in the music, or in the worst case, it will ruin the entire disc. Buffer Underrun errors are a common problem when burning CDs.

The source of the problem

So, why is the CPU interrupted? Windows is a multi-tasking operation system, meaning it can run many programs simultaneously. The CPU, however, can only do one thing at a time. To solve this problem, Windows divides the CPU-time into small slices and gives each running program a short period of time to execute, before the CPU is handed over to the next program. The more programs you run, the smaller each time-slice gets. If the slices are to small, there may not be enough time for the burning-software to fill the buffer on the CD-writer.

What about the harddrive? Just like the CPU, the harddrive cannot read everything at the same time. If, for example, some antivirus software or a screensaver starts in the middle of your cd-burning-session, the harddrive may get occupied with other things and stop reading CD-data.

The solution

What can you do to prevent "buffer underrun errors"? There are a few things you should always do before burning audio-CDs:

1. Reboot the computer before you begin to make sure the operating system is completely stable (You never know after running a few games).

2. Terminate all programs but the cd-burning-software. Of course you need WinTasks to be able to stop all the invisible background processes. If you are using WinTasks 4 you only have to do this once, since it is now possible to save the currently running processes and their priorities to a preset. To restore the optimal cd-burning process configuration later, you can simply click the preset button.

3. Don't use your CD-writers maximum burnings speed if you have get any gaps or jumps in the music. If your writer can burn at 4x use 2x, if can handle 8x use 4x and so on. This way, the CPU will only have to send half as much data to keep the buffer full. Making the whole process less sensitive to errors.

4. Try increasing the priority of the CD-burning software. You may have to try a few different settings before you find the optimal priorities for your system. Use WinTasks to change the priorities, and again, I recommend creating preset in WinTasks for the optimal settings once you have figured them out. You should not modify the priorities of the system processes (red), and use the built-in decriptions to find out if what a processes does. (WinTasks 4 have built-in decriptions for most system processes, and many other processes as well.)

5. Always cache to harddrive before burning. (This is usually an option in your burning-software)

: HP8200e Nero and XP Fabrizio

I have Windows XP and last version of NERO (5.5.10.0) with HP Cd-Writer Plus 8200e.
I can record CD-R only in Track at Once mode while I get error in DAO mode both in data ("SCSI/IDE command aborted") and in Audio recording ("where I get Buffer Underrun").

The error is quite sistematic (in Audio recording occurs at the end of the simulation phase -probably when he has finished to copy the tracks- (always between 94% and 100& of the phase as function of the files volume).
I have reinstalled the drivers, closing all the applications, but nothing changed.
Since I tested the HP 8200 on my notebook with Nero and XP and the error occurs again I am suspecting that possibly the firmware (1.0f) got corrupted or worst the CD writed has ome problem.
Is that possible ? Can I get the firmware ?

Note: my system consists of a AThlon 700 MHz on Asus A7V and 384 MB Ram

In case someone is interested I am attaching the log othe error in Data mode (but is quite identical in Audio mode ..)
Note: If you are the author of this question and wish to assign points to any of the answers, please login first. Click here for more information on assigning points.
Sort Answers By: Date or Points
Ed Hart

January 01, 2003 20:13 PM GMT [ unassigned ]

You probably need to go here, study this stuff, and do what you must. Xp doesn't always work 100% with older stuff...

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg40448.html

good luck Henning Jensen

February 24, 2003 14:41 PM GMT [ unassigned ]

I have the same expirence with win98 and HP8200i on my old PII 400 BX machine.

I just wondered if it is Nero, as changing back to easy-cd -> problem gone.
And a lot of usefull functionality gone.

BTW. installation of the old SW sucks. Why is Acroread version 3.1 installed without any question.

check it out,, then get the Cricket bat and start swinging! *heh heh*

Another "Hats Off" to HP! For their wonderfully architectured pieces of Hardware!

Flaky!

Glad all is working!

cheers,,,

ps- sell the HP to someone you dont know *heh heh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom