Nerd me out i need knowledge

Volibear

Beta member
New Member W/ Stupid Questions

I knee :hail: Answer as much as you can. You can keep it short I don't need super deep explanations I'm just trying to better understand somethings. (defragging is maybe the only exception) Please Don't TL;DR :eek: at least answer the last one its not even a question :)

Stupid Question 1.) Can I make constantly changing files hidden? (ex. some random log file or something) will it still function properly? Would any files/folders be effected negatively by such a change?

Stupid Question 2.) Why do we have folder file "Program Files" & " Program Files x86". Does it matter if I save program files in other folders (besides the obvious organizational loss). If I saved the folders to my desktop they would run slower right? I remember someone saying not to bave much data on your desktop... Not that I want to I'd just like a clear answer on this.

Stupid Question 3.) I use CCleaner and they have Scan/Fix Registry. What is this doing? How often should I run this?

Stupid Question 4.) When I delete items on my computer I've always been told fragments of the memory stay on the computer? Does defragging get rid of these fragments? Is defraging something else? What is defragging? I've read about it before, but i really don't think i've ever got it. How often should/can I run a defrag. If I'm running windows on bootcamp (MAC) will I have to do it differently?

Stupid Question 5.) To update a driver do I have to first uninstall the driver? I feel like I've read this is recommended, but wouldn't the installation program just do it self?

StupidQuestion 6.) Turn Windows Auto Updates on or OFF

Stupid Question 7.) Why does Java have an update every 30secounds <_< (this is mostly a joke)

What are the BEST PC "utility" programs or websites you have use (Money is not an issue) . Anything that improves UI, Spyware removal malware removal, organizing tools

<3

1) you can but if you make them hidden the programs that use them will not recognize them as hidden and will usually error out or create a duplicate log file. The only exception being if the program is designed to create / see hidden log files
2) Program Files in a 64 bit environment like Windows 7 or Windows 8 are just that, Program Files that are designed for 64 bit processing. Anything else is dumped into the x86 folder (32 bit architecture).
3)I'd run it every other week or so. At least run it once a month. It's checking the registry for erroneous registry keys that aren't associated with programs (IE someone manually deleted a program instead of properly uninstalling it)
4)No, defragging moves segments of data together. As time goes on and items are written to a platter drive it becomes fragmented as things are saved, re-saved and deleted. Over time this fragmentation of files can lead to performance issues as the read / write head of your hard drive is having to jump back and forth to read and save the same data file. As for deleting an item you are correct, until the section of the disk is written to again the data technically still resides on the hard drive. The only true way to completely remove data is to write over the sections of the hard drive the original data was in.
5)The program usually takes care of that for you
6)Windows updates should always be on - if you care anything about the security of your system
7)Because it's a poorly written program, as is iTunes and Flash.

Volibear said:
Stupid Question 7.) Why does Java have an update every 30secounds <_<
My suggestion, usually, to people is "if something isn't prompting you to use java in order to do something, then you don't need it installed."
Volibear said:
What are the BEST PC "utility" programs or websites you have use (Money is not an issue) . Anything that improves UI, Spyware removal malware removal, organizing tools

Depends, do you actively want to be engaged with the program, or just "set-it and forget-it"?

Re: New Member W/ Stupid Questions

1. As long as you dont change the file name. Nothing would be effected but it will be difficult to find the files with ease.

2. Program Files is for 64 Bit. Program Files x86 is for 32 bit. So those programs that do not have a 64 Bit version will install to the x86 folder for 32 Bit compatibility and be able to be used. It doesnt matter where you save the files to, as long as the programs install properly to the right area to be used. I dont even save files to the Program Files folders at all.

3. It is removing entries that are not in use at that time. My opinion, never run a registry scanner. They are useless on today's PC's.

4. Yes it stays, no defragging does not get rid of it. Defragging is when the system optimizes itself to operate better. You can run it as often as you want or not at all. You can let Windows decide and defrag itself when it gets to a certain %.

5. Yes it is recommended to remove the old first. Some install programs might, but if the program is not coded to do this for you then it wont. Programs will only do what they are instructed to do by the people who wrote them. So do you trust those people or would you rather play it safe and do it yourself?

6. ON ALWAYS

7. Cause Java is a joke. And that is serious. Java is right up there next to Flash as the most exploited program out there. They have so many updates cause they have to fix all their screw ups.

The best PC Utility? Common Sense 2014 Edition. If you dont know the site, dont download or approve anything from that site. Dont install anything from anyplace you dont know of or heard about. Yet again, COMMON SENSE things will save you more than ANY program ever made in the world.

Back
Top Bottom