Need Windows help

Vinaell

Baseband Member
I just got a computer from a yardsale cheap. I have a 160gb HD from a different sale. I put the HD in works fine boots up Windows XP professional. Only issue is the previous owner has it password protected to log in. My question is how do i get around this or wipe it out and restart without buying a windows xp disk?

All I will say is: safe mode.
To get more detailed information, try Googling. I could help you more, but (as a few other members said in another thread) we technically don't really know whether you're telling the truth or trying to break into a stolen computer. Even if this is a legitimate thread, it's a public forum so anybody could read the response and use it for malicious purposes.

Although if safe mode doesn't work, I think your best bet would be to somehow reinstall Windows. Another option if you can't reset the password would be to install Linux on it (especially if it's just going to be a secondary computer. And if it's older, Linux should run very nicely on it).

Ok since the harddrive came out of a different computer i think i need drivers for everything. There any easy way to get a list of component drivers that i need so i can get them online? and what would be the best way to get them on the computer USB or Disk?

Vinaell said:
Ok since the harddrive came out of a different computer i think i need drivers for everything. There any easy way to get a list of component drivers that i need so i can get them online? and what would be the best way to get them on the computer USB or Disk?

Once you're in the computer (past the password prompt) you can use Device Manager to get a list of things needing drivers. To get to it, right click on My Computer and click Properties. Then click the Hardware tab and click Device Manager (I think, I haven't used XP in a while).
If you don't have Internet on this computer yet, you can write down the names of the devices you need drivers for and download them on another computer. Then just put the setup files on something like a flash drive and transfer them to this computer.

Back
Top Bottom