Need to vent!

strollin

Knowitall!
We are currently renting a house. When we moved in 3 months ago, I reported to the property manager that the water heater barely put out water hot enough to take a shower, even with the heater's temp control set to Max.

It took 3 months for a technician to come out and look at the water heater. He measured the water temperature as 120 degrees which is well below the 160 degrees it should be capable of producing. He drained the heater to get rid of any sediment buildup (which didn't fix the issue). When he went to close the drain valve, it wouldn't shut off completely and was leaking. He put a cap on it, which seemed to stop the leak, then left.

About an hour after he left, I just happened to go out to the garage for something and discovered a large puddle of water due to the leaking drain valve which had already soaked the bottom of several cardboard boxes of items nearby. I moved the boxes, then immediately called the repair company and asked them to send someone back out ASAP to stop the leak. I never heard back from them. I ended up going to the hardware store for a washer that I installed with the cap and stopped the leak.

This morning I called them and spoke to a manager to ask why nobody responded to my call regarding the leak. The manager gave me a series of absolutely ridiculous stupid excuses such as, she didn't have a technician in the area (why don't they run their business to provide for contingencies?), they can't do any repairs without the home warranty company's authorization (not a repair but fixing an issue caused by their technician) or that she needed to discuss the issue with the technician (why is that important?). There was absolutely no regret that their technician caused this leak. I told the manager that I don't fault the technician, when he left it appeared that the leak was stopped. What I don't understand is why there was zero response when I reported the leak, caused by their technician, to them. At a bare minimum, I would have expected them to respond to tell me to call the home warranty company or a plumber or fix it myself or whatever since they had no intention of responding. Completely unprofessional company.

I also called the home warranty company to lodge a complaint about the repair company and, to my surprise, the idiot customer service rep agreed with the repair company, saying I should have called them and reported the leak to them. I am completely flabbergasted that these 2 companies felt that there was no urgency regarding the leak. What if I hadn't gone out to the garage until today? Just think how much water damage there could have been.

Meanwhile, neither company is doing anything until the warranty company receives the report from the technician and makes a decision as to whether the water heater should be replaced or not. If I was the owner of this house, I would not let the repair company return. I guess I was supposed to just let the water heater leak until they make their decision as they claim no responsibility for the leak.

Am I being unreasonable? Do you agree that the repair company should have responded and stopped the leak or is the leak a new repair and needed to be reported to the home warranty company for them to schedule someone to come to the house and repair the leak?

Well it sounds to me that their customer service sucks. I mean if someone calls in and reports a leak, you are suppose to find a way to check it out...if you want to remain a good company. I do agree that they should of at least contacted you and tell you they couldn't make it out to your residence instead of ignoring your call.

It took three months for them to come look at your water heater. There's your red flag right off from the start. Now you know the rest.

They're a worthless POS bunch. I'd get the hell out.

In Australia if anything like that happens you are usually within your rights to call a plumber to fix it and send the bill to the real estate agent.

In Australia if anything like that happens you are usually within your rights to call a plumber to fix it and send the bill to the real estate agent.

Same thing in the states. Assuming you're on a lease, send a certified letter to the landlord/management firm stating if it's not fixed by them you'll get your own repairs done in lieu of rent until you are made whole.

Two things:

1. Lowndsey and Celegorm both hit on a good point here. I don't know what the terms on your lease specify, but on my lease it states that any repairs in the unit should be performed by the property manager. Most of my problems have been taken care of in a timely fashion, but the one time they were beating around the bush I basically did what I could without professional help and let them know that if they didn't fix it I would call someone qualified to fix it and send them the bill. They worked with me and had someone at the unit in two business days time.

It took three months for them to come look at your water heater. There's your red flag right off from the start. Now you know the rest.

They're a worthless POS bunch. I'd get the hell out.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I am surprised that the landlord did not show more concern regarding this situation. Water damage can be pretty expensive both for the tenant and the landlord. It seems like your landlord doesn't really care for his/its tenants; and it also seems to me like there's too many middle men between you and the company responsible for plumbing.

To put it crudely, the person/firm you are leasing from sucks. They show no concern for their tenants and their protocols are too bureaucratic. I would finish out my lease and look for a different spot.

The property owner and property manager aren't the bad guys here. The water heater issue was reported by them in a timely manner to the Home Warranty people who then assigned a plumbing company to do the work. The real problem here is the poorly run plumbing company. It took about 2 months for them to say that they had tried to reach me to setup an appointment but couldn't. They had my correct cell phone number and I had not had any missed calls from unknown numbers nor did I have any voicemails left by them saying they were trying to reach me so I called BS on that. At any rate, they called the very next day and scheduled the appointment.

Some of the responsibility for it taking so long for them to come out rests with me since I should have complained to the property manager to let them know that the issues I reported had not been dealt with yet. The water heater worked well enough (and still does) for us to shower, wash dishes and do laundry so we weren't being inconvenienced. My concern was that having to set the heater's temp setting to Max was costing me money by using more gas to heat the water, not to mention that it also means the water heater might fail completely in the near future. If that happened, you can bet that I would be telling the property manager that if the heater wasn't fixed immediately, I would call someone in to replace it and deduct the repair from the rent.

It's now been a week since the technician verified the issue with the heater and recommended it be replaced and I have not heard anything back from the plumbing company or the Home Warranty company. I wonder how long they will drag their feet before actually replacing the heater?

Call the people that own the property and let them know what's going on with the repair company. Lean in to them by letting them know you're not impressed and you're looking to move out when the rent expires if this is not resolved.

Call the people that own the property and let them know what's going on with the repair company. Lean in to them by letting them know you're not impressed and you're looking to move out when the rent expires if this is not resolved.
Already done. The owner is having a different company come out and replace the water heater on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom