Need the best rock solid DVD burner available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspirin

Baseband Member
I need the best DVD burner available. Something that won't make coasters, crash the computer, and has a great driver and software. Price is no object I want the best. This will go in a new Dell PC running XP SP2. About.com's top picks are below. ANYTHING BETTER? Thank you for your help!!!

1) Sony DRX-710UL External Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
SonyÂ’s Double Layer DVD records single layer DVD+R discs at up to 16X speed, burning full discs in a little over 5 minutes. Of course, you can also burn Double Layer DVD+R DL discs with the DRX-710UL, giving you up to 4 hours of MPEG-2 video or up to 8.5GB of data storage space on a single disc.

2) Pioneer DVR-R100
A fast, quiet drive that lets you burn your movies, music, slideshows, and data reliably and fast. You'll be hard-pressed to beat the included software (granted, most are the slightly trimmed-down "Special Edition" variety, but they more than get the job done). In fact, if you haven't made up your mind which video editing software to go with, here's your chance to try out Ulead's excellent VideoStudio and DVD MovieFactory software, and get an excellent DVD burner in the bargain!

3) Pioneer DVR-108 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
The Pioneer DVR-108 drive supports 16x write speeds on both DVD-R and DVD+R, along with the option to write at 4x speed on Double Layer media. The DVR-108 can write 4.7GB of data to write-once media in a little over 7 minutes and store over 8 and a half gigabytes of data on a Double Layer disc.

4) Lite-On SOHW-1633S Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
The Lite-On Double-Layer DVD+/-RW Drive has proven to be a popular drive with both users and reviewers. This drive boasts a 16x DVD+R write speed, Dual-layer recording, Smart-Burn protection, vibration absorption, and support for virtually all of the various DVD and CD formats.

5) NEC ND-3500A Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
The NEC ND-3500A is a proven internal DVD writer that can write in 16x/4x/16x DVD+RW, 16x/4x/16x DVD-RW, 4x DVD+R DL, and 48x/24x/48x CD-RW formats in both Dual Format & Double Layer formats. The NEC ND-3500A comes bundled with the Nero software package which is a capable product with broad applications.

6) Plextor PX-712UF External DVD±RW Writer
The Plextor PX-712UF burns in 12X DVD+R write, 8X DVD-R write, 4X DVD+RW rewrite, 4X DVD-RW rewrite, and 16X DVD-ROM read. THe drive can create a 4.7 GB disc on DVD media in about 6 minutes. You can also burn to Video CD (VCD) to play on most DVD players.

7) HP (Hewlett-Packard) DC5000 External Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
The HP (Hewlett-Packard) DC5000 lets you transfer your video masterpieces to DVD±R/±RW discs quickly and easily. Included software lets you edit video and photos, music, and data applications, plus write and read CD-R and CD-RW discs, as well as DVD±R/±RW discs.

8) IO Magic 4x2x12x DVD+/-RW
I/OMagicÂ’s DVD+RW/+R is an excellent choice for burning your movies for playback on your home DVD player. Each DVD+RW/+R disc holds up to 4.7 GB of data so you can record up to 4 hours of streaming video.

9) LaCie 300920 D2 Dual Layer External DVD±RW Writer
The LaCie 300920 D2 delivers four DVD formats in a slim device. This drive writes to both CD and DVD, giving you plenty of production and distribution options. The LaCie d2 has one of the fastest DVD recording speeds available and can record in both DVD-R and DVD+R formats. The drive also features FireWire and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports as connection options.

10) Iomega Super DVD QuikTouch Video Burner 12x Dual-Formated USB2.0 External Drive
Iomega's DVD burner comes with an integrated video capture card and “one-touch” burning for burning your videos to either DVD and VCD. The video capture card is integrated to the drive allowing direct video capture and burn so you can get high-quality video duplication onto DVD from any digital device (camcorders, DVD players, etc) with analog outputs (S-video and/or composite/RCA).

I have #5, the NEC, and it works just fine for me. It burns at 8x on 8x discs fine. I have no basis of comparison, but it's a good drive at a great price.

I know Plextor and NEC both make solid DVD burners. Either company would be a good choice. I have the NEC burner; it works great.

I have that NEC, its a fine burner, but I will say Sony FTW! I'm a sony fan.... they usualy make very good products in the electronics market.

Yoad said:
I have that NEC, its a fine burner, but I will say Sony FTW! I'm a sony fan.... they usualy make very good products in the electronics market.

How can suggest the Sony if you haven't tried it. Good products in one market, like the PS2 (which is debatable), don't necessarily carry over to another market, like DVD burners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom