Need suggestions regarding Chromebook software?

thebubbleman

Beta member
Hi there! I'm a student in need of an exclusively school-related computer, and to my dismay a netbook will fit the job perfectly. The cheapest (and ideal) options I've found are the Acer C710-2833 and the Asus 1015E-DS03; they're hardware and prices are nearly identical. The Acer sporting a SSD (albeit a small one, it'd work fine for me), a larger screen, and being $30 cheaper, it seems like the better choice. Unfortunately, it's a Chromebook. Because it's a Chrombook, I would be restricted to the ChromeOS it comes with and/or using Crouton or ChrUbuntu to create a Ubuntu environment on it. Obviously the latter is considerably better and not too bad, but I like to have complete control over the BIOS and such; being restricted to the development of two projects, along with not being able to install any OS I choose (for Ubuntu flavors I personally prefer Mint) is not at all to my liking. So, which should I pick? The only advantage the Asus holds is being able to use any OS/configurations I want, and at the sacrifice of screen size, a slower HDD, and an extra $30. Is it worth it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I was issued a Samsung Chromebook for school and the default ChromeOS wasn't as useful to me, so I installed Ubuntu onto it, that being said, I also had a 16Gb SSD and I was downloading games to play during class and there was still enough space to write a few papers. I would go with the Acer, the dual-booting gets old after a bit, but you can use Crouton and install any flavor you like and use Wine for other programs. At least from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom