Need some insight on "The Ultimate Computer Desk Project"

Really off topic but, but how do you do this?

For a small LCD, such as the one in a netbook, USB LCD and a USB touch panel. For a full size laptop, it would get way more complicated, but here is how I would do it:

Start with a regular DC LCD panel, removed from all casing, backlight etc. Then there are two options for how to drive it: USB video card or the laptop's video card (using the video out). Wire either one in, then wire to the LCD controller. Next I would use some thin sheet metal to build a band around the LCD itself, with six LEDs, run off a 5v terminal somehwere on the mobo, and one of those light diffusers in it for backlighting. Wire the DC input directly to the laptop battery, then install a standard touch panel controlled via USB. I would most likely build the new case out of plastic epoxy since I don't have access to an automated router.

It's very hard to explain, but I have thought it through and know exactly how to do it. The only downsides are that you would need an external mouse (another option is a slide out touchpad), the case would be thicker/heavier, and it would destroy battery life.

I feel the need to multitask a lot, too, ya know. I've seriously considered a rig with ten 30 inch monitors, five on bottom tier / five on top tier. That will come WAYYY down in the future when 6 or 8 core processors become mainstream, 12 to 20 GB of memory is standard, and one GPU has at least 6 GB dedicated memory with 3 or more video connections. To build a rig capable of running that much screen estate flawlessly, today, would cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. I know they actually do have stuff like this now, but in some high-tech science lab or something....

Ok, Foot, consider the fact that I use LCD screens, meaning a monitor that is about 1/18th of the thickness of a CRT (if you have a CRT with the depth of 18 inches) That clears up a lot of space in front. In the later stages of the project, I'll be adding a keyboard slider.

If I measured the desk out right, then I should have more than enough space. The book shelf / CD rack idea involves one that isn't too big at all, I don't have that much of a collection. But I did just have a quick flash in my head: Make one side longer, build the filing cabinet underneath, and put the bookshelf above that. I like that idea.

I'm also thinking about putting a tower compartment underneath, but one that is some sort of clear acrylic and can hold a full size tower. The compartment idea includes fans, or if at all possible a very small air conditioner. This way I can use my heat in the winter and not have to worry about the temps in the computer.

What you just saw is my secondary setup. My main rig is on a 5'x6 Lshaped desk, and consists of three 28" LCDs and a portrait 15.6" LCD. It has zero room left. I know my monitors are bigger than yours will be, but my brother has 22" monitors, and even they would leave very little room.

Basically, it seems like you would have plenty of room, but once you get everything on there, you will realize you should have gone larger.

This leaves me to say one reason why I'm sure I'm going custom now:

At any given time, I can just go out, buy more materials, cut them down to size, and attach them to the original.. A.K.A. the ability to customize to your EXACT liking and specification, while looking like it's part of the original.

Who knows, I could go all out and make a square that has a inside dimension of about 7x7, about 3 foot wide... Meaning, a desk that would encompass my entire room. Of course, I'd have to have an area on two of the sides cut out for the door to my room, but yeah, I could do something like that. It would be a fun project to attempt. Am I? Nope. That is just too much work....

So I'm not going to jump in to the monitor melee but i did have one small suggestion. Ever thought about rounding out the middle angle to add a sqft or two of space. the 3 foot something from that corner to the back is really wasted space. A nice scallop out of the middle would cut that wasted space down in the back and not make work any more or less uncomfortable. also it might look kinda stylish hah.

For a desk, I would do an L shape desk like you have drawn up, but instead of sitting in center, sitting on one of the legs for the computer, and the other L for paper work and whatever else. Junk.

I'm thinking about taking the L's up to 7 foot each, which would make the side area roughly 3 foot each.

I think I'm going to keep the back square with the wall. I might cut off 3 or 4 inches for cable management purposes, but I usually put stuff behind my monitor for storage. Trust me, on my desk now, which is the epitome of small, I utilize every square inch of space. As far as the inside corner goes, I might round that off just a little to add a more elegant look, but I'm looking for function, here, not form.

And Superman, that's a pretty good idea for now since I only have two monitors, but I honestly think a corner would be perfect when I upgrade to three. I have a small corner desk right now with two monitors, and it doesn't look the best.

This might not be as hard as I originally thought.

My local Lowes and Home Depot both have 1/2" to 1" thick plywood, and is 4x8. It's simple. I do some cutting, make them 3x8s, put legs on them, put em in my room, slap em together in there. If I do that, I would cut quite a bit of the wood off of the back corner to make the front bezel like I want. One end will be longer than the other, which is perfect. I can't have one of the sides longer than 6 foot thanks to my door, but the other side can be up to 10 foot.

I'm thinking about taking the L's up to 7 foot each, which would make the side area roughly 3 foot each.

I think I'm going to keep the back square with the wall. I might cut off 3 or 4 inches for cable management purposes, but I usually put stuff behind my monitor for storage. Trust me, on my desk now, which is the epitome of small, I utilize every square inch of space. As far as the inside corner goes, I might round that off just a little to add a more elegant look, but I'm looking for function, here, not form.

And Superman, that's a pretty good idea for now since I only have two monitors, but I honestly think a corner would be perfect when I upgrade to three. I have a small corner desk right now with two monitors, and it doesn't look the best.

This might not be as hard as I originally thought.

My local Lowes and Home Depot both have 1/2" to 1" thick plywood, and is 4x8. It's simple. I do some cutting, make them 3x8s, put legs on them, put em in my room, slap em together in there. If I do that, I would cut quite a bit of the wood off of the back corner to make the front bezel like I want. One end will be longer than the other, which is perfect. I can't have one of the sides longer than 6 foot thanks to my door, but the other side can be up to 10 foot.

Be sure to take some pictures if you decide to build your own. You should be able to build a kick as desk for the equivalent price of some mid range desks. I'd have loved to do my own but I simply don't have the time for it :(

Back
Top Bottom