need some design tech help

dude_se

Proper Legend
basically im doing my portfolio work atm, and my task is to redesign a product, making it better, blah blah, you get the idea :)
ive chosen to redesign a portable phone, anyway i just wanted to know what would be the best material to make the product out of, its a model btw (will be full size, but not working obviously). its pretty obvious it needs to be some sort of plastic, but i just suck with choosing materials. any ideas would be great :)
thanks

hmm thanks, looks like a possibility, but google seems to say its used more for the building industry,
i was looking at ABS before, but im not sure...

acrylic may be a good material
if your DT department would let you something like aluminum would be good cos it is light yet very strong

maybe do it with rubber, since your re thinking the design you could do it. flexible PBC is right around the corner, along with flexible screens. since kids are always dropping and breaking there cell phones they would be very marketable.

its aimed at like 18 + really, so its not a toy. i want a cheap, yet strong material, so im not sure about rubber. hmm possibly pvc, but what about ABS like i said above?
and @muz, hmm acrylic is a possibility, not sure about aluminium though, bit of a mission

its aimed at like 18 + really, so its not a toy. i want a cheap, yet strong material, so im not sure about rubber. hmm possibly pvc, but what about ABS like i said above?
and @muz, hmm acrylic is a possibility, not sure about aluminium though, bit of a mission

yeah i wanted to use aluminum for my GCSE coursework but they wouldnt let me
i think acrylic would be good as well cos if you fked up whilst shaping it can be reheasted and re shaped unlike some other plastics
i think abs is a thermoplastic so you can reshape it after it has set as well although i have never used it to make anything before i remember seeing someone using it

yea its a thermoplastic. ive already wrote some stuff in my folder on ABS so id rather do that tbh, but acrylic seems like a good bet.
i could use aluminium, im just saying its un needed effort really

yea its a thermoplastic. ive already wrote some stuff in my folder on ABS so id rather do that tbh, but acrylic seems like a good bet.
i could use aluminium, im just saying its un needed effort really

well its gonna be easy to do then if its a thermoplastic i say just use that cant think of anything else .
and yeah aluminum would look great however wouldnt be as easy as other stuff

Back
Top Bottom