need some building tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

0tz

In Runtime
Ok I think everybody is waiting for the release of Conroe this coming 23rd of July. I was suppose to build an AMD 939 system last month but upon stumbling some information in Conroe, I decided to hold my horses.

You can see my specs below. I just want to ask what parts should I upgrade? Of course motherboard and CPU are the first. Conroe is built on LGA775 so shifting from motherboard first might do well right?

Sorry for such nice grammar. I just want something like a sequenced plan on what and where will I buy first. I find 975X mobos expensive right now and is there a chances of price drop? :( And is 975X in BTX form so it can't fit in my ATX casing?

Budget is another real matter here.

Well quite honestly I Do not believe you can upgrade much, except that screen of yours, it seems really old and small.

And maybe you could already get a new PSU for you'r new pc, i'm not sure if you need one though it depends how much Amps you got on the rails of that PSU you have ATM.

I'll explain why you don't got much to upgrade ATM:

CPU: Conroe ain't out of course, and AMD X2 are still overpriced.
RAM: Yours seems to be DDR, not DDR2, the new mobos only support DDR2 so even if you buy it at this second it'll be useless untill you buy the whole new pc.
Video card: Again, old mobos use AGP x8, new mobos use PCI-E x16, any new card you buy now will be useless anyway.
Motherboard: 99% Of the conroe supporting mobo's aren't out yet, and the one that IS out is REALLY hard to find and REALLY Over priced for the moment.... and again.. all of the rest of you'r rig will be un-compatible with it.. so why buy at this moment?..

Just wait till everything is in the stores and buy it all at once, will make you'r life easier..

If you really have to feel like you'r already 'progressing' then I told you what you CAN Get, a decent monitor, and if you need and want, a better PSU, from better company and maybe a modular one, I always liked those ^^.

-Jo.

Well you're right but Im not upgrading atm...im asking for advices on what should I buy first when conroes are officially released. I want a planned build. And maybe I used the wrong word its not upgrade but rather overhaul :p sori..

And by the way, never mind the monitor my real concern is the mobo, cpu, memory and gfx card. i dont have prob in gfx card since i can buy a cheap one while waiting for dx10 cards to come out..About the PSU, i have found already one well im gonna buy it when conroes are released. is 500w sufficient enough? dont have prob in memory also 2gb would be enough right? now what remains is the cpu and the mobo...So what can u say? is this plan right?

Yes this plan sounds pretty good for me.

Buy a conroe + mobo + cheap PCI E card [as cheap as you can, just to power it up] + a 500w or 550w [as high amperage as you can find on you'r budget range] + 2gb of ram [yes, over that is just an overkill, windows XP Can utilize more than that anyway, and by the time that a better O.S. CAN Utilize this much, you would probably be better off buying a new pc ;) translation: it will be in a long time from now.]

Hope this helps,

-Jo.

On the 500W question, that depends on the manufacturer. Make sure to get one from a reliable brand (OCZ, Antec, PC P&P, Seasonic, etc, etc...).

I think you have the right idea overall with the rest of your build. If you don't need it, don't even bother picking up a card to wait out until DX10. Remember, that's money you can spend later towards getting a better GPU.

BTW, you never mentioned the uses of this PC. Are you going to be gaming, etc...?

Yup 90% gaming, 10% on other like watching DVD, typing and surfing ^_^

About the amperage, how many amps should I have on the 12V rating?

20 at a minimum, if not higher, there are some x2 12v rails psus that provide 34+amps and they aren't that costy

Ah ok...Last question...Whats the purpose of having higher amperage on the 12v rating? Why dont i need higher amps on other voltage ratings?

its always good to have higher amps on everything, but the 12v is responsible for the video card and stuff like this that consumps the most ampers and watts.

-Jo.

0tz said:
Ok I think everybody is waiting for the release of Conroe this coming 23rd of July. I was suppose to build an AMD 939 system last month but upon stumbling some information in Conroe, I decided to hold my horses.

You can see my specs below. I just want to ask what parts should I upgrade? Of course motherboard and CPU are the first. Conroe is built on LGA775 so shifting from motherboard first might do well right?

Sorry for such nice grammar. I just want something like a sequenced plan on what and where will I buy first. I find 975X mobos expensive right now and is there a chances of price drop? :( And is 975X in BTX form so it can't fit in my ATX casing?

Budget is another real matter here.

you could definitely upgrade your hard drive. your monitor is really funny, no point in upgrading your graphics card untill that is replaced:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom