Need Some Advice On A Build

ryevick

Solid State Member
I'm looking to get a pc tower built for a home studio/audio workstation, so it needs to be as quiet as possible as far as the fans (including power supply, processor fans) go, etc. I will probably want a fan controller as well. It needs to have plenty of power and speed, have firewire, spdif, hdmi and a good sound card and I also prefer windows 7 over 8. I will be using 1 large monitor for now but would like the ability to use 3. Someone suggested this build and have them use a different case, fans and add firewire thru pci express. After looking up a few of the components though I not so sure. The processor has great reviews but the motherboard... not so much. I also am a bit nervous at using a 2TB HD... that's a LOT of data to loose if something went wrong. I'd kinda like to maybe run the OS on a 500 GB HD and have may 2 or more 1 TB HDs for storage. I don't know gear like you guys (and gals) do I'm sure... but would very much appreciate some suggestions, links, etc. I do have about 4 towers I've found that look pretty good for reducing noise by Corsair, Fractal and the 2 Gigabyte Cupio 6140s but haven't made up my mind on one yet. I would prefer ATX over Micro ATX. Just FYI I'm looking to keep the tower cost without monitor, keyboard or speakers around $700-800 ballpark.

The tower linked would work fine, and that motherboard is perfectly fine for what you want while not being ATX.

Building yourself would still be your best bet, and for OS keep to an SSD. Since you don't need an exuberant amount of budget wasted on PSU or GPU you can get rather good components for your budget.

Chose what Firewire and Audio setup you want, then I will work around that and link you a build to use.

The tower linked would work fine, and that motherboard is perfectly fine for what you want while not being ATX.

Building yourself would still be your best bet, and for OS keep to an SSD. Since you don't need an exuberant amount of budget wasted on PSU or GPU you can get rather good components for your budget.

Chose what Firewire and Audio setup you want, then I will work around that and link you a build to use.

Thanks! Well I have been looking at some different components...

This Case

This Motherboard

Same Processor

I'm guessing this Firewire is better than this one.

Maybe this Power Supply although I am interested in products from this company, I just haven't priced them out yet.

Maybe some G.SKILL Ripjaws Ram... not really sure what the difference is between this one and this one.

Also maybe a fan controller.

I haven't priced it all out yet and I don't know if that MB can support 3 monitors and I do want wireless networking as well. I haven't had time to check out SSD drives yet.

That motherboard is completely overkill for your rig. I wouldn't look at anything more than a B85 Pro (full ATX 4 dimm boards). You want your money to go into the more important parts, like an actual good audio I/O if you're that serious about audio work. When gaming or watching movies/TV the onboard solutions are more than adequate for even mid end and some high end audio setups. When working with audio is when the hardware really shines. My old X-Fi Xtreme Music completely blows my onboard away when working with my recording. If it was up to me, I would have an actual studio quality board in there, even if it meant reducing processing power.

The SYBA model supports 800Mb speeds.

Look no further than Seasonic PSUs. Pretty much the absolute best quality you can find.
SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

For RAM, cheapest 8GB 1600MHz set. Don't worry about names as anything will work.

Depending on the board in question it could make having a fan controller pointless. If you got a Grid+ from NZXT or a board with good software you can control your fans from within Windows or set profiles. If your budget was big enough I could say just get Noctua fans and call it a day.

120GB Samsung EVO would be the first place to look for SSDs. Storage expansion depends remaining budget.

Back
Top Bottom