Need simple USB/Serial device

03jh011

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a certain piece of hardware, but cannot find what I need anywhere. In fact, I don't even know if it exists! I shall explain what I need briefly if I can...

We are a laundry, and the check in workstations are where the garments are checked into the plant. Basically, the workers scan the garments (an RFID chip is present in each garment), the details for that garment appear on a touch screen, the screen is locked, they then have to press an unlock button on the touch screen monitors before they can scan the next garment. There are no keyboards or mice involved.

I am after a device that can be connected to each workstation's PC via usb or serial port connection, of which will do the job of the unlock button. Ideally, this should be a light barrier type system where by the workers can pass there hand through the light beam (thereby breaking it), a signal is sent to the PC, the program inteprets it and unlocks the screen.

Having said that, I would very much welcome hearing about any mechanical systems that involve physical contact from the workers, as long as they can be connected to the computer, and perform the simple function of unlocking the screen. Any system that does the job is a welcomed idea!

If anybody knows of a device that is capable of doing this, if you could let me know, I would very much appreciate it . It is an extremely simple device in theory, so there must be something out there somewhere. I justr cannot seem to find it :)

Thank you very much,
Jason.

You're probably looking for Biometrics. There are all kinds, from finger print readers to the Biometric Hand readers (i've used them myself - just stick your hand in the device and it recognizes the user, the job used it for the time punch station, it was really pretty cool)

Back
Top Bottom