Need reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

verman84

Solid State Member
Im new to these forums and I am also nuilding a new computer. This is my first build though i have taken a few apart and watched some builds. The only big hassle with building my own is there is so much technology out there that i get flustered with all of the numbers and brands and so on and so forth. I have also been trying to find the best deal and get the best price at the same time like everyone else. So here is what i have/ and what i plan on buying. I would appreciate any suggestions or alterations. I am pretty stuck on amd processor and ati vid card. Im trying to keep the "What im planning on" under 1000$ and I need to know if you have any experience with any of the brands (good/bad) and input is highly appreciated. Thanks

WHAT I HAVE:
-Coolermaster wavemaster silver case
-Rosewill RP500w Power Supply
-Seagate 80gb HD
-Logitech mx518 Gaming mouse
-Saitek Eclipse illuminated keyboard
-Sony cd-rom/r/rw/dvd-rom

WHAT IM PLANNING ON
-MOTHERBOARD
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-VIDEO CARD
SAPPHIRE 100600L-Red Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
-PROCESSOR
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
-MEMORY
GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
-MONITORr
Fuji Plus FP-988D Silver-Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 600:1 Built in Speakers 0.264mm Pixel Pitch - Retail
-ADDITIONAL DRIVE BenQ Black 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM

No to your processor man! Throw out that Winchester core and get a Venice core. I don't know how many posts I've had to say that now...

Geil Value RAM isn't the greatest RAM either. I have some and no matter what the reviews say, it won't be the best overclocker if you ever in the future plan to do that.

As long as your card is PCI-Express, then I'd recommend the DFI Lanparty. I've heard only good things about it, but no personal experiences there.

Graphics card... isn't a bad card by any means, but I'd wait until the new ones come out and get one of those bad lads.

For the graphics card, see beedub....

The only good thing that GEIL had going for it was it was generic ram, with a warranty, and slightly cool looking heatspreaders, that are like a bed for the ram (hot night, with a duvet rapped around you, with no gaps for the heat to get out... lovely....

I wouldn't recomend getting FOXCONN for the motherboard.

Thanks a lot for the input as you can see i am sort of lost in the brand game of motherboards and ram.

well, heres the thing. My semester starts in about a month and i need a computer by then at the very latest therefore, i do not have the time to wait for the new technology to arrive. Not to metion i havent gamed in a while and battlefield 2 comes out shortly. Also, I do not have any plans of overclocking anytime in the near future so as far as that goes its not my top priority. I would like to stick with an ati card but if there is an nvidia card for same price but better then let me know. As far as motherboards and ram goes, I am looking for 1 gig of dual channel (2x512) and i have no clue as to what brands are very good brands aside from asus and dfi. I do not plan on making the wolds best comp by any means but the best i can for the money i have.
>MOBO - If there are any better pci express mobos with decent onboard audio and amd 754 socket then let me know PLEASE.
PROCESSOR - I will take your advice and go with this processor
>AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor
>RAM - I need depending on the board, 1 gig (2x512) dual channel ram also around 100 bucks give take a little.
>VIDEO CARD - I am lookin gat a pci express preferrably ati unless nvidia has better at same price around 250-275$

Thanks again

whoa whoa whoa... who gave you the advice for that processor? The only one that mentioned a processor was me. Getting an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ is fine, and getting it in socket 939 with a Winchestor core is even better, but getting it in socket 939 with the Venice core is the best! That is what I meant. Get the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 with the Venice core. It is the best core for it currently. Here, this is what I was talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

Now that'll change what you want for a motherboard. You'll want one with socket 939 if you go with the good processor obviously. I'd recommend the DFI Lanparty. Hands down.

Now for RAM. I'm going to play the role of Nubius here and recommend this. It is cheap, and works well: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062
If you've got extra money, this is great kickass RAM here that will work well no matter what you use it for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

Since you are impatient and want your computer now with a PCI-Express graphics card, then I'd have to recommend the NVIDIA 6600GT. It is great for its price, and it just seems (setting all opinions aside) that in this round of graphics cards, NVIDIA whipped up on ATI. I've also heard not to buy an ATI unless you wait for the new ones to come out. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

All the AMD guys like DFI, I would go with that.
DO NOT get socket 754, make sure it is 939.
Get the venice core.
Do not get the 800pro. If you must get ATI, get the x800xl, but a nVidia 6800GT would be even better.

Sweet thanks guys that was EXACTLY what i was hopin you could do for me. It was a lot more helpful than simply telling me what i had picked out was not that great.

By the way, is there any somewhat expected release time as to when the new vid cards will come out because like i may or may not have said, I am a grpaphuc design major and i moved to chicago from michigan so i need a computer as soon as classes start but i understand that when the new cards arrive they will be great. The only thing is that on a college student's budget I may not be able to afford the new cards of what an older card may be capable of not to mention as soon as new technology arrives the old will cheapen up a bit.

Oh and that processor was the wrong one. I originally had the socket 939 venice 3200. I was trying to multi task and redo my wish list and got some switched around.

Like I said again thanks guys and I really apreciate the heads up.

Yeah, make sure it is socket 939 with the Venice core... you said Winchester in your first post.

As for the graphics cards, I think they'll be out in a week or two... could be mistaken though.

By the way, I'm from Michigan. Whereabout you from? The lower parts, or the great Upper Peninsula?

I am originally from Muskegon, its on Lake Michigan Lower Penn. If you make the "mitten" with your hand (thumb to the right) it is pretty much halfway between the bottom of your pinky finger and the base of the palm of your hand. N 30mins of Holland, NW 30 mins of Grand Rapids NW of Lansing abour 1.5 hrs.

I just moved to Chicago about a week ago to go to the Illinois Inst. of Art - Chicago. (or Ai) I live about 4 miles from loop but south of wrigley field.

Where at in MI are you from?

B.T.W., who/where do I ask about hat vid card? (beedub?) and if the new cards are coming out in that short of time i may be able to continue scraping by with the g/f's Dell for now, i just will have to wait on gaming or movies, or music or anything that i really use the internet for....

once again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom