need new 4 x 6 speakers

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
My vehicle is in need of new rear speakers. The kids, when they were young, destroyed them -literally!! May also replace the fronts in the future - so opinions welcomed on them as well. It is an older vehicle that I don't drive much anymore - so nothing expensive please = under $100 for the pair.

My vehicle is:

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Car Audio Profile

Listening = soft rock, instrumental, need tight/accurate bass = I HATE boomy lose base.

Last edited:
Polk have always been an easy listening brand to me. Infinity are more for the rappers that have big subs in their cars. Obviously if you have an aftermarket system you can EQ out what you don't want so it's up to you.

No to the first link. Impedance and wattage isn't right for your setup.
For the second link check what impedance your stereo outputs. If it's your stock radio it'll more than likely be 8ohm meaning neither of those Infinity speakers will be good for your setup. If you have an aftermarket headunit shoot me the model so I can do some looking for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0R6HA#customerReviews

$90 at Crutchfield and $53 at Amazon - don't think I will need the install stuff.

looks like it is Polk then- LOL- funny how name brands have changed since I sold Stereos back in the early 80's. No After market, Amps or EQ stuff in the truck. Thinking about going aftermarket head unit and speakers for the Nissan Cube I am driving around town now - the stereo is God awful. That's the next project.

Last edited:
Yea when you're dealing with stock you need to take note that they don't output a lot of wattage. So getting high RMS wattage speakers won't sound all that great until you replace the headunit. Anything over 50w RMS is rather pointless anyways unless you plan to put an amp on these speakers as it is.

Typically the speakers catered to bass are Kicker, MTX, Kenwood (although good all genre speakers too), some Pioneer, Infinity, and higher end Sony.

JBL, Polk, and some other brands I can't think of right now are great for base line listening. Otherwise, not too much of any spectrum of the hearing range. I love JBL's line of speakers for cars but I don't think they make any in the size you need.

Back
Top Bottom