Need networking help...

inbrino

Baseband Member
Need networking help... bit more help please... bit more...

Ok, I have a belkin wireless router on the ground floor of my house. It connects to a desktop via ethernet. I have a laptop in my bedroom which is connected to the wireless network via a built in wireless adapter. My brother has a desktop in his room next to mine, but we dont have a wireless adapter for it yet.

I was wondering, is there a way I can connect my laptop via ethernet to his computer so that they are networked? How would I go about this? Also, am I then able to share the internet connection that my laptop is picking up with the desktop?

Could somebody please give me an idea of how to do this please? It would be greatly appreciated if you could!!! Please help me someone!

ok get a crossover cable about £3 for 5-10meters , then connect you laptop to his desktop , then ya need to go to the network connections page and choose you r wireless and your wired connection and bridge them he should then be able to get internet , you may need to tweak the firewall on you laptop and his desktop for this to work properly also make sure it is a crossover sometimes called x over cable and not a standard etherbert cable

ok thanks! dont have crossover. Is there a way to use a router instead? connecting with ethernet?

yeah , wire his desktop straight to the router if it has wired network ports , same way you have the desktop wired to the router

Ok, im going to do this in a minute. So, once I have connected my laptop to the router, and the desktop to the router what then?
Will there be a problem because im using another router downstairs? That is my primary router.

ok lemme get this right you have two routers , i only meant connect the desktop your bros to the router downstairs and keep the laptop wirelessly connected

no, i wanted to use my other router as a hub. so that i can connect the laptop to the desktop up here. Is this possible?

but ya could also connect your bros desktop to the roter and your laptop to the other router so you have your laptop connected wirelessly and wired to the upstairs router , then bridge the wireless and wired connection on ya laptop

Back
Top Bottom