Need more memory?

No I'm not worrying about memory anymore but I read an article that adding memory increase memory usage even though the memory wasn't filled before.

I find that weird.
Could you post that here? Because I'm not following you.

That's a valid idea, but I don't think it's worth replacing all your RAM for a couple hundred Mhz.

Thats what i thought, but if he was going to buy new memory anyway.... not sure what he's running right now, but you're probably right about it only being a few hundred mhz. I was thinking about getting some new 3200 ddr4 for my machine to replace the 2400 i have in it, but at $150 for a 16gb kit, it's not really worth it for me. instead i ended up getting a 500 samsung gb ssd for $125, that'll probably make more of a difference.

Thats what i thought, but if he was going to buy new memory anyway.... not sure what he's running right now, but you're probably right about it only being a few hundred mhz. I was thinking about getting some new 3200 ddr4 for my machine to replace the 2400 i have in it, but at $150 for a 16gb kit, it's not really worth it for me. instead i ended up getting a 500 samsung gb ssd for $125, that'll probably make more of a difference.
Ah yes if he is gonna change it, then for sure, although DDR3 prices go way up if you increase the speed over 2400.

If you have dual channel, it would be a pretty big leap from 2400 to 3200. However, $150 seems too much. Those things used to be $110-120. Also, I'm not sure how big of an improvement it would mean. Nowadays processors have a ton of cache, so memory speed is not a really big deal. I have tried downclocking to 1600, then overclocking to 2133, and I don't see the difference. SSDs on the other hand... Those things are awesome, and Samsung is the king.

Last edited:
AMD, I read a lot of articles in my research so searching for that one article is not really worth looking for.

Let me give you an idea what that article meant. Lets say I have 8 gigs memory which I do so the system will allot 5 megs for each program to start up with and the rest will go to swap.

Now I got 16 gigs of memory and the system will now allot 10 megs to each program and the rest are swapped.

None of this are accurate but you get the idea. The idea is to allow you to multi-task.

Last edited:
AMD, I read a lot of articles in my research so searching for that one article is not really worth looking for.

Let me give you an idea what that article meant. Lets say I have 8 gigs memory which I do so the system will allot 5 megs for each program to start up with and the rest will go to swap.

Now I got 16 gigs of memory and the system will now allot 10 megs to each program and the rest are swapped.

None of this are accurate but you get the idea. The idea is to allow you to multi-task.
Isn't that just like Demand Paging? You only load the pages you'll need. That allows less fragmentation, and more importantly, it allows for the program to be larger than the entire memory you have available. So if you need more pages you just swap the ones you don't need anymore.

Is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom